William (Bill) Edward Cutler
Here's a new, digital photo of me. The
aggravation of trying to convince people
to use proper grammar has turned me
grey (it's not old age, OK!).
Of course, this page isn't complete without a résumé-incorrect, "cutesy" video
of my two "little ones": Asta, a female Jack Russell terrier who's smarter than I am, and Caleb,
a Miniature Schnauzer who aspires to be as bright as a 25-watt light bulb. Move, guys! It's a video."
November 2002. Began volunteering as a trained and certified Literacy Tutor in Durham Region (Ontario), by 2003 in both classroom and one-to-one individual student settings.
March 1997 - present. Freelance / contract writer-editor
serving a wide variety of businesses (and offering modem transfer
November 1984 - February 1997, Toronto-Dominion Bank, as
Publications Officer and Editorial Analyst.
- Reviewed, wrote and edited various internal and public
including circulars and
- Edited documents from client departments for grammar, clarity
- Researched and prepared procedures for new systems;
- Quality-control analysis and management of branch manuals and
- Prepared / edited reports for Award of Excellence publication.
A verbal or written reference can be obtained from the
Toronto-Dominion Bank by contacting its Operations Division Human
April 1982 - November 1984. Freelanced as writer / editor
for various corporations and business publications.
July 1978 - April 1982, Canadian Co-operative Credit
Society, as Writer-Editor and Communications Officer.
- Wrote and co-ordinated production of Annual Reports /
- Wrote senior management speeches;
- Prepared research papers and audio-visual scripts;
- Co-developed publication policies;
- Wrote media / press releases and weekly "Briefs" newsletter;
- Wrote information booklets / folders;
- Prepared conference support materials;
- Edited management reports;
- Wrote promotional letters.
June 1970 - March 1978, Prudential Insurance Company of
Canada (since sold to London Life), as Staff Writer and Sales
- Developed, wrote and produced internal sales promotion
- Scripted and co-produced audio-visual shows;
- Researched legal, business and other developments for
- Wrote promotional letters for sales vice-presidents.
July 1969 - June 1970, temporary position with Ontario
Dept. of Health branch.
- Wrote technical literature;
- Edited and up-dated articles;
- Wrote news releases.
May 1967 - July 1969, Maclean-Hunter Ltd., as Assistant
Editor of "Office Equipment & Methods" business publication (since
- Researched and wrote articles on office management as well as
electronic data processing;
- Edited news / features pages;
- Participated in editorial planning;
- Co-ordinated layout and production (with Editor /
- Conducted surveys of trends / equipment for special reports;
- Reported on trade shows.
May 1966 - August 1966, Honeywell Controls Ltd. (summer
position prior to final year at Ryerson).
- Provided editorial and production assistance for employee
- Wrote media articles.
- Completed courses for Wang and Xerox desk-top publishing (1980
- Successfully concluded training in DOS and Windows (1993) and
WordPerfect for Windows (1994);
- Self-trained in OS/2 and acquired detailed expertise in HTML
writing and design, including the use of colours, backgrounds,
tables, animated icons, images, sounds, etc. (beginning in 1995);
- Developed Grammar Grabbers web site in 1996.
- Served as special reporter and Campus Editor of "Daily
Ryersonian" newspaper and as member of Communications Student
Senate at Toronto's Ryerson Polytechnical Institute (now called
- Graduated from Ryerson's 3-year journalism course in 1967;
- Received Business Journalism Certificate from Business Press
Editors Association in 1968;
- Awarded Bachelor of Applied Arts (Journalism) degree in 1973
when Ryerson gained degree-granting status;
- Completed training as Literacy Volunteer in 2003.
Page and other links
"Professional Writing / Editing Services"
To go back to the top of the Page, select image . . .