Canada - Ontario
- Ontario Cemeteries Resources
- request lookups and/or photos of tombstones from volunteers. Be nice!!
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
- "A database consisting of the surnames, cemetery name and location
of over 2 Million interments from several thousand cemeteries, cairns, memorials, and cenotaphs in Ontario, Canada." Searchable by surname. The files can be downloaded using FTP.
- Cemeteries of Ontario
- Ontario Genealogical Society Cemetery Transcriptions on Microfilm
- While not available on line, these microfilms can be ordered and viewed via your local library. The reference numbers are listed by District or County, with the cemeteries transcribed listed. An excellent reference not to be missed.
- Find-a-Grave Ontario Burials of Famous and Somewhat Famous People
- Field of Stones
- Photos of tombstones in abandoned or pioneer cemeteries in Ontario. Site constantly growing.
- Northern Ontario Gravemaker Gallery
- 1,000s of photos of tombstones from cemeteries across the northern portion of Ontario
- Algoma Area of Ontario - Gravemarker Gallery
- includes hamlets, villages and towns of Algoma Mills, Bruce Mines, Carlyle, Maple Ridge, and various others now amalgamated into Municipality of Huron Shores
- Alton Cemetery, Alton ON
- NOTE: there are two places to look for surnames, resulting in different results. Use the letter chart, but also the SURNAMES link.
- Bruce Co. - Southern Bruce County Cemeteries
- includes communities of Paisley, Rusk & Walkerton so far. Some inscriptions in photos are not clear enough to read, but some of these have transcriptions accompanying images. Webmaster offers assistance via e-mail. A work in progress.
- Cochrane district Cemeteries - Gravemarker Gallery
- Includes Matheson, Porcupine, South Porcupine, Timmins, etc.
- Cornwall ON - Woodlawn Cemetery (mostly)
- 47 tombstone photos with transcriptions. Follow the arrow links immediately below the photos through the 4 pages. NOTE: DO NOT use the search box at the top of the page, as it searches the whole picture website, and you'll end up with photos of drunk students, etc., completely unrelated to cemetery photos and nothing to do with your search.
- Deseronto ON - St. Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church Cemetery
- Includes linked pages to war graves and Protestant graves of Deseronto Cemetery
- Dundas Co. Transcriptions
- Elgin Co. Cemetery Transcriptions of Tombstones - Elgin Co. OGS
- Frontenac Co.
- Hastings Co. (Centre) Cemeteries -- Elzivir, Madoc & Tudor Twp
- Currently includes townships of Elzevir, Huntingdon, Limerick, Madoc & Tudor.
- Huron Co. - Wingham ON - Wingham Cemetery
- nice, tidy & well-organized website; maps, cemetery layout, etc.
- Lanark Co. Cemeteries
- Currently 127 cemeteries and over 41,000 names plus free lookups and offer of headstone photos for expenses
- Lanark Co. Cemeteries with Pictures of Grave Markers
- Lennox & Addington Co.
- Manitoulin Island District ON - death Register
- Records going back 120 years
- Manitoulin Island - Gravemarker Gallery Link repaired! - Thanks, Susan!
- Mattice-Val Côté ON - Old Autochtone Native Burial Site Link repaired!
- Burials probably date back to the early 1900s when there was a Hudson Bay Post here. The available transcriptions start later and extend to the 1950s. Website is in French only.
- Mount Forest ON - Mount Forest Cemetery Transcriptions
- A work in progress
- Muskoka District
- Niagara Falls ON -- Cemetery and Columbarium Search
- A simple, fast search utility -- by name or plot location. Includes a good photo or 2 of the tombstone and a map locating the burial plot. Lovely job, webmaster!
- Nipissing Area of Ontario - Gravemarker Gallery
- Includes cit of North Bay and surrounding communities of Astorville, Bear Island, Bonfield Twp., Cache Bay, Callendar, Calvin Twp., Chisholm Twp., Corbeil, Feronia, Field, Garden Village, Holmes, Kipling, Lavigne, Mattawa, Nipissing Junction, Nipissing Village, plus Nipissing First Nation, Powassan, Restoule, Rutherglen, Trout Creek, Verner, Whitney, etc.
- Ottawa ON - Grave Markers in Western Section of Ottawa ON
- Parry Sound District:
- Parry Sound ON
- includes hamlets, villages and towns of Ahmic Harbour, Arnstein, Burks Falls, Carling, Commanda, Dunchurch, Emsdale, Golden Valley, Loring, Machar, Magnetawan, Maple Island, Midlothian, Nipissing Village, Nobel, Novar, Powassan, Restoule, Rosseau, Seguin Falls, Shawanaga First Nation, South River, Spence, Sprucedale, Sundridge, Trout Creek, Wasauksing First Nation, Waubamik, Whitestone, etc.
- Small Cemeteries of the Districts of Muskoka & Parry Sound
- individual cemeteries links via dropdown menu bar under the page title - photos with transcriptions
- Penetanguishene ON - Cemetery Search
- Includes Christian Island, Victoria Harbour, Waubushene, etc. Tombstone photos & transcriptions.
- Whatever you do, you always have to click that long Click here for Further Information button.
- Peterborough ON - Lakefield Cemetery Search
- strange order to name search utility -- surname is 2nd box, between first and middle names?! At first, I wondered why my smith test turned up nothing.
- Pickering-Ajax ON - Cemetery Index Thanks, Jill!
- Prince Edward Co. - North Marysburgh Twp. ON
- Rainy River ON - Gravemarker Gallery
- Renfrew Co. ON - Gravemarker Gallery
- Communities of Chalk River, Deep River, Deux Rivieres, Eganville, Killaloe, Mackey, Madawaska, Pembroke, Petawawa, Point Alexander, Stonecliffe, Westmeath, and assorted townships & unorganized & reorganized areas now amalgamated under new names, etc.
- Simcoe Co. Cemeteries - "Tombstone Territory"
- tombstone photos -- includes communities of Adjala-Tosorontio, Barrie, Brentwood, Clearview Twp., Dunkeroon, Oro-Medonte, Shanty Bay, Springwater, Vespra, etc.
- Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry United Counties
- Sudbury district ON - Gravemarker Gallery
- includes adjacent communities and those now amalgamated into Greater Sudbury -- Alban, Espanola, Markstay, Nairn, St. Charles, Spanish, Warren, etc.
- Sudbury ON - Finn burials in Parklawn Cemetery
- Thunder Bay ON:
- Thunder Bay & District Cemeteries
- Timiskaming district Cemeteries - Gravemarker Gallery
- Includes Earlton, Englehart, Kirkland Lake, Thorneloe, etc.
- Toronto ON - Don Jail
- Ongoing project to identify and expand information for prisoners buried at this historic jail. Graves are being moved as the property has been sold for development.
- Wilton Cemetery
- Wolfe Island & the Nearby Islands of Amherst, Garden and Howe Death Registry Transcriptions
Canada - Prince Edward Island
- Prince Edward Island Cemetery Transcripts
- Augustus PE - Sst. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church Burial Extract
- taken from the death registers, only information from burials lacking a tombstone. Includes some related obituaries.
- Brudenell Cemetery
- Charlottetown PE
- Cherry Valley - Christ Anglican Church Cemetery
- Sturgeon PE:
- Various Cemeteries
Canada - Quebec
Something to keep in mind in wandering Quebec cemeteries: In Quebec, cemetery plots are by law not purchased, but leased for 99 years. At the end of the lease, a notice is published in local newspapers, listing the surnames of the plots about to expire.
If no one comes forward to renew the lease, the deceased is dug up, reburied a few feet deeper and the plot is available for a new burial. The inscription on any tombstone is sandblasted off and will be reused in situ. I have no idea what this means in terms of burial records, but would hope these "transfers" are recorded and the early burials remain documented.
While I have seen this reported in the national news, I have received word that this is not necessarily so in all cemeteries in Quebec. Apparently, in Notre Dame des Neige Cemetery in Montreal, the right of perpetuity exists. I would appreciate comment on this topic from others in Quebec.
- Cemeteries of West Quebec & Upper Gatineau
- A work in progress, this is an indexed transcript of the tombstones of this area's cemeteries. Photos of tombstones are not on the website, but are offered once you determine the reference number. Nice setup, webmaster, especially the progress report listing cemeteries as they are added! A PDF reader is required, and a link to download it free has been thoughtfully included on the website.
- Aylmer & Hull (Gatineau) QC Cemeteries
- Gatineau Co. QC Cemeteries with Pictures of Grave Markers
- Hemmingford Twp. QC Tombstone Transcriptions
- Over 6,000 entries dating from 1808 - 1994.
- Baie-Comeau QC - Cimeti?re St-Joseph de Manicouagan
- in French only. Included are the parishes of Pointe Lebel and Les Buissons.
- Montreal QC - Le repos Saint-Fran?ois d'Assise Cimeti?re [St. Francis of Assisi Cemetery]
- Search utility: Nom de jeune fille = maiden name; d?funt = deceased; Pr?nom = given or first name; Nom du conjoint = spouse's surname; Ann?e de naissance = year of birth; Ann?e du d?c?s = year of death.
- Montreal QC - Notre-Dame-des-Neiges Cemetery on Mont-Royal
- Search burials since 1855 for the parish of the beautiful and historical Basilica de Notre Dame. Website is in English, aussi en fran?ais.
- Pontiac Co. QC Cemeteries with Pictures of Grave Markers
- Sheenboro, Pontiac Co. - St. Paul the Hermit Catholic Cemetery
- St. Julien QC
- A tiny village east of Arthabasca and Victoriaville, about halfway between the St. Lawrence River and the American border. What is so terrific about this page is that the names are connected to family tree info and in some cases, photos! Website in French only, but well worth lumbering through with a French-English dictionary.
Canada - Saskatchewan
- Saskatchewan Cemeteries Project
- Ongoing project to photograph and/or transcribe the 3,300 cemetery and burial sites (848 cemeteries complete to date) in the province -- Volunteers wanted!
- Boulder Lake SK - Boulder Lake Cemetery Burials
- Drake SK - Drake & North Star Cemeteries
- Estevan SK:
- Fort Qu'Appelle SK -- Lakeview Cemetery
- Lockwood SK - Lockwood Cemetery
- Moose Jaw SK Cemeteries
- includes Moose Jaw City Cemetery, St. Aidan's Church Cemetery (Chester SK), St. John Evangelist Church Cemetery (English Village, NT), Heath Cemetery (Wesley District)
- Nokomis SK (Rural Municipality of Wreford #280)
- Saskatoon SK
- Tate SK - Tate Cemetery Burials
- Venn SK - Venn Cemetery 1903-2003
Canada - Yukon Territory
- Yukon GenWeb Cemetery Project
- Obituaries for people connected to the Yukon
- Whitehorse YT - Pioneer Cemetery Burial Index