Rescued Photos &
Got a page of your own "found family treasures"?   Send me the link and I'll post it here.   Got something but no webpage?   Go to the RootsWeb Posting link to list it for maximum exposure.
- found cameras, found film, found photo CDs, etc., reproduced on this website and awaiting more owners to reclaim them!
- Baltimore City Nineteenth Century Photos (Maryland USA)
- A wonderful site full of found photos of people with names! All photos relate to Baltimore, and many list the photography studio where the portraits were taken, the place the photos were found, etc.
- Unknown Photos, most likely of people living in Bell/Knox/Clay/Harlan County, Kentucky
- Dead Fred : the Original Genealogy Photo Archive
- Search or add a photo
- Unidentified and Orphaned Photographs with Ties to Hennepin County (Minnesota USA)
- Good idea with the localized twist!
- Mac Ross Photo Collection
- Photos of a tobacco salesman travelling throughout Manitoba, right up to Churchill during the Depression.
- Carte de Visite Victorian Photographs
- Several albums of photos with photographers' names and/or locations
- Unknown Female Portrait - Wendt?
- Photographs From the Past
- a wonderfully organized site of photos, many labelled, all with clues as to their origins, with updates as identification is received. Don't overlook the great list of links to other "found photo" websites!
- Western Pennsylvania Old Photos
- A dense but well setup homepage leads to all kinds of photos, identified and not, organized geographically and by name if known. Large images are reasonably quick to appear.
- The MARKER Family, 1915
- Unknown pictures
- Unidentified Photographs
- photos taken in California, Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, etc.
- Photographs, Mostly of Eastern Ontario
- Scroll down to the title below the text boxes
- RootsWeb's GenConnect Board, a "virtual clearing house" of photos, albums, negatives, bibles, documents, letters, and other family memorabilia
- items retrieved by individuals from trash, yard sales and fleamarkets. Usually offered for cost of acquisition and shipping, but you make your own arrangements in each case with the person who made the discovery.
- Assorted photos with reference to eastern Ontario & western Quebec
- includes surnames and photographer / studio name where possible, plus scans of backs of photos when notations have been made to identify the subject
- Images of the American Civil War
- Searchable by subject or location
- Square America : a gallery of vintage snapshots & vernacular photography
- Images of the American West
- Photos of an Unknown Family that Probably Owned a Liquor Store
- Photos From Found Undeveloped Film
- Women & Dogs Photos
- a specialized a hobby collection of found photos
- Time Tales
- Victorian and Edwardian Photographs
- Searchable and odd site, some photos identified; some links to genealogical pages not necessarily connected with the photos
- Look at Me, a Collection of Found Photos
- Found Photos
- a strange,but artsy website
- Woman with light curly hair ca 1880, probably taken in Montreal QC
- found in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, Nov 99
- Thompson Family, United Church ministry in Trinidad
- found in North Bay, Ontario, Canada, about 1981
- Ashbury College, a boys' private school in Rockliffe Park, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Includes the names of the 100 or so students written on the back of the photo.
- A Collection of Photos Found in Buenos Aires in English & Spanish
Dating and Identifying Old Photos
Here are some helpful sources and links to help you identify the time period of old photographs.   The text of the books are NOT available online, but may be found in libraries or purchased.
Please, do not ask me where!
That's what search engines, libraries,
phone directories and book stores are for.
Contact your local library, university or college, local photography club, or ask at a camera / photography store or studio for some suggestions.   Bring some copies of the photos in question with you.
Dating Ancestor Photos Through Clothing and Hairstyles : Civil War Era Fashions for Women
follow the links at the end of the page for more photograph dating techniques
Identifying People in Old Family Photographs
Cyndi's List of Photographs & Memories
Photographs as a Tool
Straightforward article describing the various types of photographs from the beginning of photography and how to use photos as an aid to genealogy.
Dating Old Photographs, by Family Chronicle
see photos attributed to the decades of the 1800s, to compare with yours
More Tips for Dating Old Photographs
Concise descriptions and date frames for different types of photographs and photographic processes.
19th Century Photography for Genealogists
Men's Fashion : the Complete Sourcebook, by John Peacock. © 1999, Thames and Hudson Publishers. ISBN 0500017258 / 978-0500017258. Illustrated. Hard cover.
Victorian Death Rituals, including Funeral photographs
19th Century Photography
Unlocking the Secrets in Old Photographs by Karen Frisch-Ripley. © 1991 Ancestry®, Salt Lake City UT. Illus. Biblio. Append. Index. 190 pgs. ISBN 0-916489-50-7 (ppk)
I was disappointed in this little book, because it didn't seem to provide any more insight into old photos than I already possessed. It was also horribly expensive, especially converting from US$. Borrow it from your library.
Clothing, Jewellery, Accessories & Uniforms
- The Costume Gallery
- History of Photography
- an overview of collecting old photos, determining the type and age of a photo, clothing styles, etc.
- Eras of Elegance - a Brief History of Fashion
- From the ancient Greeks & Romans (not that you'll find photos from back then) to Edwardian fashion
- The Fifties Web - Your Retro 50s, 60s and 70s Source
- more than you ever wanted to know about these decades, with photos of clothing, makeup and hairstyles, etc.
- Fashion Forward : The History of 20th Century Women's Clothing
- an absolutely fabulous source for clothing fashions from all eras
- American Indian Clothing and Regalia
- Notes and Illustrations on Regency Clothing Styles
- Glenna Jo & Bill Christen's Presentations & Works-in-Progress
- Loads of detailed information to help identify 19th Century clothing styles, etc.
- Historical Boys' Clothing
Furniture, Appliances, Interiors
- Connected Lines Furniture Style Guide
- Furniture Styles and Periods
- Guide to Furniture Styles and Terms
- intended as an aid to buying antique or retro furniture, but still of use in aging photos
Photographers & Photography Studios
- Camera Workers : The British Columbia, Alaska & Yukon Photographic Directory, 1858-1950
- details of studios, photographers, their subjects/location and production -- an amazing amount of information presented in an easily accessible and intelligent manner! Bravo, webmaster!
- Bibliography for the above site
- Photographers of Great Britain & Ireland 1840-1940
- Photographic Historical Society of Canada
- The Iron Plate in American Photograph 1853-1880, Dr. Janice Schimmelman
- all about tintypes
- Early St. Louis MO Photographers
- Comprehensive listing including dates of operation and business address
- Liverpool & Wirral Area (UK) Photographers 1874-1900 & Other Years to 1930
- Photographic Historical Society of New England
- African-American Photographers to c. 1960
- Jerome Ltd., Photographer Studios of Edinburgh and UK
- The Ontario Photographers List (1851 - 1900), published by © 1990 by Glen C. Phillips. Published by Iron Gate Publishing, Sarnia ON. ISBN 0-921818-04-1.
- Second Volume The Ontario Photographers List (1901 - 1925) © 1997, ISBN 0-921818-14-9.
- Finding Photographers
- Excellent references, bibliography and North American geographical short forms used over decades
- Ohio Photographers 1839-1900 by Diane Vanskiver Gagel. ISBN 1887694072.
- Directory of Pennsylvania Photographers 1839-1900 by
Linda Ries. ISBN 0892710845.
Archives, Online Galleries, Libraries
- Google Image Search -- www.images.google.com/
- Fast and comprehensive, though I keep getting meaningless icons at the end of the list.
- American Photographic Historic Society
- an excellent site with a wealth of a wide variety of antique photographica links
- Cartes des Visites Collection of Robert F. Vaughan, Gloucestershire. England. UK
- American Museum of Photography
- AMP Primer on Processes
- Descriptions of the different types of photographs since the beginning of photography. Great links!
- BC Archives Visual Records Collection
- British Columbia's Archives include photographs, paintings, etc.
- City Gallery Old Photo Album
- 19th Century Photographs for Genealogists
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Photos
- Loads of photos of people, people at work, graduates, etc.
- Photo Find
- a collection of over 80,000 photographs from around the world, some dating back to the 1850s
- Photographic Historical Society of Canada
- Photographic Historical Society, Rochester NY
- Tyneside Life and Times - Tyneside, England
- 80,000 photographs, prints and postcards depicting life in the region, dating from the 1850s to present day
Preserving Old (and Modern) Photographs
- Care and Conservation of Your Old Photographs - Colin Robinson
- Care and Handling of Your Photographs
- Care and Identification of 19th Century Photographic Prints - Eastman Kodak by James M Reilly, © 1986. ISBN 0-87985-365-4
- Caring for Old Photographs
- Care of Photographs -- Resources for Private and Family Collections
- Excellent advice with examples and source bibliography for preserving precious paper heirlooms by the Northeast Document Conservation Center in Andover MA.
- Wilhelm Imaging Research Inc.
- Analysis of commercially available papers, inks and printers in terms of longevity and stability of prints produced.
- Museum Handbook (American National Parks Service)
- In-depth, comprehensive information and more than most would want to know about every kind of film since the beginning of photography. How to identify different types of film and the damage that can ruin your heirloom photos.
- Take Care of Your Old Photographs, by Claudia Chandler Brocato
Scanners & Digital Imaging
- The Virtual Vintage Image : Digital Restoration of Images from Vintage Photos
- an extremely informative site to help you use your scanner and camera to reproduce and restore the images we all seem to find amongst family treasures, stashed in a box under the bed, or worse.
- Repair Old Photos with Photoshop - Photo Restoration
- emphasis is on digitizing with a scanner and using software to "repair" photos
- Scanning Tips
- a very helpful site even if you don't buy his book
Neat Stuff with Old Photos!
- The UnWritten Story
an absolutely marvellous website about using old photos to tell a story of the people portrayed, using a bit of detective work, family interviews, etc.
Utilities - Useful Stuff for Organizing & Viewing Digitized Photos
- Irfanview Freeware Image Viewer
NOTE: Photos on this page ARE identified family members from a family collection. Thanks, Uncle Gerry! (R.I.P.)
Page © 2000-2012 by Linda MacKinnon.
since 2000 Mar 16
Your Memories on DVD
Transfer VHS, SVHS, 8mm and Betamax
20% off on our Everything You Need Kit
Convert VHS to DVD
Share, Organize and View Online
Transfer VHS, SVHS, 8mm and Betamax
Search Now To Get