Tupper Lake with NY&O engine #3

Hibbardís company to construct was created on July 27, 1897 as the New York & Ottawa Railroad.  The plan was for this line to build north of Moira to Canada and south of Tupper Lake to North Creek.  A deal was struck with the ARR and itís operators, the D&HRR, and all that was needed was permission to cross State land.  As described above, the NNYRR was absorbed into the NY&ORR on Oct. 22, 1897, making the American portion one full line.  Also stated earlier was Hibbard acquiring the capital stock of The O&NYR on June 13, 1898 and the bridge disaster of Sept. 6, 1898.  Until the bridge crossing was completed, the NY&ORR began to run to a settlement just south of the St. Lawrence River, called Nyando (became Rooseveltown), on Sept. 28, 1898.  Unfortunately, things did not all go well.  First was the bridge collapse, then yet another failure to run south of Tupper Lake and finally, the tremendous expenditures to cover the bridge reconstruction.  The NY&ORR went into receivership on Apr. 25, 1900.

Under an appointed manager, the NY&ORR made the Canadian connection on Oct. 1, 1900, which was also the abandonment of the Black Rapids Branch, and the line on both sides began to face a new reality.  They were turning a profit separately before the bridges opened, rather than as one full line.  The situation worsened as the years went on.  Finally, the line was foreclosed and sold on Dec. 22, 1904.  J. Cartensen purchased the line and his fellow businessman, W.H. Hewman, became the manager.  To Canadians, these two were just yet another line of owners.  To American customers, these men were known to be involved with the great New York Central & Hudson River Railroad.  NY&ORR became known as New York & Ottawa Railway on Jan. 19, 1905 and on February 1st, it was leased to the NYC&HRRR.  Operations of the line were handed over on Dec. 12, 1906 and the company was purchased and merged into NYC&HRRR on Mar. 7, 1913 as itís Ottawa Division.  Due to certain regulations, the Canadian company, although still owned by NYC&HRRR, was still under lease.

 Return To A History Of