NORTHERN NEW YORK RAILROAD

                             Dickinson Center, Aug. 4, 1936
 
 
 

On May 25, 1895, the NARR was purchased by Charles Hibbard and his syndicate of businessmen.  The line was renamed the Northern New York Railroad two days later and once again the topic of expansion was on the table.  While coming up with a plan of attack, Hibbard managed to gain trackage rights for his passenger trains over the O&LCRR to Malone.  Then he set out to purchase or negotiate with a Canadian rail company in Ottawa so that he can create a connection.  Unfortunately, he was not met very well and left the Canadian capital disappointed.  A chance ride on a local train back home, he was told about a Canadian rail company charter that was in need of support and it had the power to connect to an American line.  Immediately, he started up discussions with Dr. Darby Bergin and together, they hammered out a deal that would be beneficial to both parties.  Work began in haste and Hibbard decided to create a company to build this route, separate from the NNYRR.  Part of the agreement was to relieve Bergin of the task to built to Bombay.  For a time in 1896, Hibbard operated the S&SLRR, but he was not pleased with some business practices and decided that a line from Canada had to be built straight to Moira.  On Oct. 22, 1897, the NNYRR merged into the company Hibbard founded to build those rails to Canada.
 

 Return To A History Of