|Glengarry and Ottawa Valley Branch
Clan MacMillan Society of North America
Minutes: Annual General Meeting
St. Mary's Anglican Church Hall
|I||Welcome and Opening Remarks - Call to Order; Susan Drinkwater.|
|II||President's Report - Susan Drinkwater|
|III||Minutes of previous meeting, May 3,2003, distributed in advance by mail and internet, were read. Acceptance moved by Jerry Stubbings, seconded by George MacMillan: Approved.|
|IV||Business arising from last meeting: No items were raised for discussion.|
|V||Glengarry Highland Games Report - Bill MacMillan:
The value and rewards of clan presence at the games in terms of family heritage and genealogical connections were described. The ambience of the clan building location is conducive to conversation and display of photos and clan memorabilia.
Acceptance moved by Bill, seconded Anne Neuman. Approved.
|Bill to write Jamie MacCullough in the new year to express the branch's disfavour of an outdoor table setup.|
|VI||Treasurer's Report - Harold MacMillan: the current balance sheet was
distributed and discussed. Proceeds from sales at the games were significant.
The memorial plaque account had a small deficit, but some funding is still
expected. The poster reproductions were offered at the New York gathering
by Duncan McMillan, but did not sell. (Duncan's opinion was that the price
was seen as excessive.) A motion to have Carol MacMillan contact Audrey
about having them sold through her store in New York was presented by Jerry
and seconded by Harold was approved.
Acceptance moved by Harold, seconded by Bill MacMillan: Approved.
Carol to contact Audrey.
|VII||Correspondence/Communication Report - Jerry Stubbings:
A "Health News Update" from John B. McMillan, received as e-mail, was
read aloud and discussed. Mostly positive news about clan figures, many of
whom had been at the Great Return 2002. The demise of Reverend Doctor
Donald Neil MacMillan being a sad note in the presentation.
Acceptance moved by Jerry, seconded by Harold MacMillan: Approved
|VIII||Kit Shop Report - Carol MacMillan: Discussion of the effects of moving the clan table to an outdoors location in competition with commercial vendors, the limits on our sales offerings, and alternative revenue sources took place. With reduced sales potential, inventory will become a major concern. Ideas for sale items were invited. A presence at the Fergus Games in 2005 was discussed and Duncan McMillan, N.A. President elect, should be consulted. Moved by Carol, seconded by George; Approved.||Solicitation of the other clans' opinion regarding moving to an outdoor location was suggested. Jamie MacCullough has contact list.|
|IX||Book Committee Report - Harold MacMillan
Harold feels he has come up with a schema that matches the organizational pattern of the materials he is investigating. He is proceeding with renewed purpose and confidence. He noted that the articles in the collection date only from 1970 forward, although they may refer to earlier dates. Harold moved acceptance, seconded by Allan MacMillan: Approved
Harold will continue with the new indexing scheme.
1) Project MAOL (MacMillan Ancestry On Line) Support:
2) Clan Centre Support: A motion introduced by Wm. J. MacMillan
to donate $100 to the Clan Centre, seconded by Gordon MacMillan, was tabled and will be brought to the spring meeting for consideration.
3) North American Clan MacMillan Gathering 2005: The new President of the North America Clan MacMillan Society, Duncan D. McMillan, will be hosting the 2005 North America Gathering in London, Ontario in 2005. The event will be held between the dates of the Glengarry and the Fergus games.
4) Branch Dues Increase: A new yearly family membership fee of $25 was proposed and discussed at length. Some of the points raised in favour of the increase included: the uncertainty of the branch generating income at the Glengarry Games, the perceived need to give support to the Clan Centre and Project MAOL, support of the Friends of the Ruins (St.Raphael's) campaign, and support for research and documentation of MacMillan heritage. The membership would also be changed from "Household" to "Family". Memberships already paid will remain valid.
5) Election of Executive: Nominations were called for all positions.
Cheque to be sent to Project MAOL.
Item to be added to the agenda of the spring meeting.
Branch assistance and participation to be investigated.
|XI||Concluding Remarks - Susan Drinkwater
Thanks to all in attendance. Table reservations for dinner have been arranged at the Old Navan Mill Restaurant.
Printed October 10, 2003 - Jerry Stubbings, Branch Secretary/Communications
Previous Minutes | AGM Agenda | Meeting History | Branch Index