Admiral Sir William Parker

Admiral Sir William Parker

1743 - 1802

Note: The above picture appears in the book An Illustrated History of the British Navy in association with the Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth, and is represented to be the second Admiral Sir William Parker (1781 - 1866) (as noted below, there were two men named Admiral Sir William Parker). However, the photo also appears in the book The Life of John Jervis, Admiral Lord St. Vincent by Captain W. V. Anson, R.N. The page is entitled, " Commemoration of the XIV th February MDCCXCVII." Parker is depicted with other participants in actions against the Spanish fleet and the French Republic at The Battle of St. Vincent in 1797. At this time, the second Admiral Sir William Parker would only have been 16.

Through Major Harold Sydney Parker Edwards, the ancestry goes back to Admiral Sir William Parker. Admiral Sir William Parker was said to be an uncle. The obituary that was printed in the local paper when Charles Edward Parker Edwards died on April 16, 1930, stated: "Edwards: --Suddenly on the 16th, Charles Edward Parker Edwards of the Den, Christchurch, Hants. Son of John Edwards, West Indian Planter, and Great Nephew of Admiral Sir William Parker." The use of the name Parker in male lines has been carried down to the present.

(Click here to jump to Charles Edward Parker Edwards)

Some of the information below is taken from Sir A. Phillimore's Life of Admiral Sir William Parker and Sir A. Phillimore's The Last of Nelson's Captains, some from a book by John Winton "In Association with the Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth, an Illustrated History of the Royal Navy", and some from the Dictionary of National Biography.

There were two Admiral Sir William Parkers. The first was born on January 1, 1743 at Harburn, Warwickshire, England, and died on October 31, 1802. William's parents were Augustine Parker, who died in June of 1783 and Elizabeth Beal, daughter of William Beal. Augustine Parker had been a mayor of Queenborough and a commander of one of the king's yachts. William entered the navy at a very early age, about 1756. He was on the Centurion, captained by William Mantell, and was present during the capture of Louisbourg in 1758 and the capture of Quebec in 1759. After six years service as a midshipman and master's mate, he passed an examination in 1762 and by 1766 he was promoted to lieutenant. For a time he served off the coast of Newfoundland and was promoted to commander in 1763. He continued to serve in Newfoundland for a time and in 1777 he went to the West Indies where he served under Barrington and later under Byron. He served aboard various ships and as commodore and commander-in-chief on the Leeward Islands station. During the 1790's he served under Admiral Richard Howe. In 1794 he was promoted to rear admiral and served in Jamaica. In 1797 Admiral Sir William Parker served under Sir John Jervis, who commanded a fleet in action against the Spaniards near Cape St. Vincent. In some of the action, Sir William Parker was on the ship Prince George. In this action, Sir John Jervis defeated a much larger Spanish fleet with his smaller fleet: "The responsibility for attacking so large a force with so few ships was his (Sir John Jervis') alone. To Jervis was due the efficiency of the fleet under his command. At the critical moment when victory was necessary and essential to England, he put into action a scheme long planned and long prepared for, and carried it through successfully. It was a timely and a daring action, well conceived by him and splendidly carried out by the captains of the fleet and the well-trained and disciplined crews, most of whom had been long under his command and had gained their efficiency in serving under him." (page 175, The Life of John Jervis, Admiral Lord St. Vincent by Captain W. V. Anson, R.N.)

William married Jane Collingwood on December 28, 1766. Jane Collingwood was born about 1740 and died about 1815. Her father was Captain Edward Collingwood, who was born about 1694 and died July 13, 1779 in Greenwich, England. Edward was the son of Edward Collingwood (born about 1660 and died in 1721) and Mary Bigge (born about 1663). Captain Collingwood married twice. His first marriage was to Mary Rodham and his second to Jane Carlton. Jane Carlton was born about 1712 in Greenwich and died February 19, 1791 at the Royal Naval Hospital in Greenwich, England. Jane Collingwood was the daughter of Edward Collingwood by his second wife, Jane Carlton.

Admiral Sir William Parker was the eldest. His sister Sarah, was christened March 11, 1744 at Queenborough, Kent. She died unmarried December 4, 1791. A brother Augustine was christened Feb 9,1746 at Queenborough. A sister, Elizabeth Parker, was born October 11, 1748 at Queenborough, Kent, England. She married William Head on July 19, 1785 in Queenborough. A child named Elizabeth Head was born February 9, 1787 also at Queenborough, Kent, England. Another sister Susannah was born and died 1750. A younger brother, Capt. Robert Parker of HMS Intrepid was born April 8, 1753 and died Nov 23, 1797. He married and had 8 children

William and Jane Collingwood Parker had seven daughters and one son. The daughters were named Jane, Sarah, Susanna, Harriet, Ann, Mary and Elizabeth. Harriet is the only daughter who never married. The only son, William George, was born in 1787. He married August 29, 1808, Elizabeth Still, (born 1791)the daughter of James Charles Still of East Knoyle in County Wiltshire and Charlotte Wake. He left a large family and died a vice admiral March 24, 1848.( This information from the book "A Naval Biographical Dictionary" by W.R. O'Byrne published in 1849.) One of the daughters of William George Parker and Elizabeth Still was Fanny Catharine who married Charles Bligh in 1837 and died in 1894. One daughter was named Clara and another daughter, Elizabeth Charlotte was born in 1816 in England. Two of the sons married in Toronto. Melville Parker married Jesse Hector in 1847 and Albert Parker married Lucy Henrietta Jennings in 1851.

The second Admiral Sir William Parker lived from 1781 to 1866 and served as Admiral of the Fleet. He was born on December 1, 1781, the third son of George Parker of Almington, Staffordshire, England. George Parker, his father, was the second son of Sir Thomas Parker, who had been lord chief baron of the exchequer. Sir Thomas Parker's nephew was John Jervis, first earl of St. Vincent, who had married Martha Parker, George Parker's half-sister.

Admiral Sir John Jervis
Admiral Sir John Jervis, Earl of St. Vincent

William Parker entered the navy in February of 1793 as a captain's servant on the ship Orion, serving under Captain John Thomas Duckworth. His letter home to his mother reveals something of his life on board ship:

Orion, Spithead, Sunday Morn Feb. 24, 1793

My dearest Mother,

It gave me great pleasure to receive your kind letter, for which I thank you, and I have begun upon a large sheet the moment I received it....I am very happy and as comfortable as if I was at home, and like it of all things; and I think I have every prospect of doing well, particularly under the care of so good a gentleman as Captain Duckworth, who is like a father to us all. Mr. Nevill and all on board are extremely kind to me. I have not yet gone higher than the maintop. We are to sail to the West Indies, and I have my things on shore being altered and made cooler for me. Pray tell Patty that I do not sleep in a hammock, but a cot, which is a much more comfortable thing, and that it is not swung yet, so I manage very well....

Sir John Jervis (William's uncle by marriage--i.e., married to his aunt and also his first cousin once removed) has told Mr. Nevill (who he knows very well) to take care of me, and I assure you he does, and is by far the best friend I have on board (Captain Duckworth excepting); tells me to ask him anything I want, and often asks me questions in those rules of navigation I have gone through;...Captain Duckworth says, I shall not do any service of any kind before two years. But a Mr. Gray is so good as to say he will take me to watch with him in a year, and if he has a little sloop and goes with Captain Duckworth, he will take me with him, but do not mention a word about it to anybody, or in any of your letters. I am very glad to hear that Admiral Gardner is Admiral of our Fleet. Captain Duckworth is so good as to send for some plums, and other good things, for Messrs. Land, Baker and me.

My father has furnished me with a box of colours, drawing-books and everything that could possibly amuse me. He sends me music and more drawings from town by Admiral Gardner. Captain Duckworth very often asks me to breakfast, dine and drink tea with him. He desires his compliments to all our family. Nobody ever looks at our letters. I intend to get Sir John Jervis to forward this... My paper being by this time filled, and I suppose I must have worn out your patience, I must conclude with desiring you to give my best love to all our family, and friends, and the servants.

And believe me, dearest Mother,

Your dutiful son,

W. Parker

The Orion was part of the Channel fleet under Lord Howe and took part a battle on June 1, 1794. This was the Battle of the Glorious First of June, Rear-Admiral Villaret Joyeuse had been told by Robespierre that he would be guillotined if he did not escort safely to harbour the ships bringing American grain. The Rear-Admiral got the grain-ships through, but he lost seven of his battleships in this battle. When Captain Duckworth was assigned to another ship, the Leviathan, William followed him, and sailed with him to the West Indies where Duckworth appointed him acting lieutenant of the Magicienne, a frigate. In May of 1798 he was appointed to the Queen, a flagship of Sir Hyde Parker. In March of 1799 he was confirmed in his rank of acting lieutenant. On May 1, 1799 he was appointed by Sir Hyde as acting captain of the Volage and during the next few months he cruised in the Gulf of Mexico and the coast of Cuba. In 1800 he returned to England on the Stork. He then spent nearly a year in the North Sea, attached to the fleet off Brest. His position of commander had been confirmed in October of 1799 and he was advanced to post rank in October of 1801.

It is interesting to note that in the British navy lieutenants were only promoted when they had achieved some significant success in their careers; promotions did not come as a result of years served or age, so William's promotion at a young age is a significant mark of this remarkable man. The reference to post rank is the second promotion possibility in the British Navy. Post Captains got the command of a ship of the first six rates and could also lead a squadron of small ships during special missions.

In March 1801 William Parker was assigned to the Alarm and in November he moved to the Amazon, which he commanded for nearly 11 years. He was attached to the fleet under Admiral Lord Nelson and accompanied the fleet to the West Indies when they followed the French fleet. After this, the Amazon was sent on a cruise westward and therefore missed the Battle of Trafalgar. The Amazon was then attached to a squadron under Sir John Borlase Warren. He participated in action wherein two French ships were captured, winning the praise of Sir John. For the rest of the 11 years William Parker was almost constantly on the move with the Amazon, mainly along the coast of Spain and Portugal. When the Amazon was sent home for a cleaning, William Parker took the opportunity for a leave of absence and married Frances Anne, daughter of Sir Theophilus Biddulph and Hannah Prestidge. Frances Anne was born November 15, 1791 at Warmington, Warwick, England. He then rejoined his ship and sailed to Spain, later Brest and the English Channel. However, in 1812, the Amazon was worn out and was paid off on Jan. 16.

William Parker purchased Shenstone Lodge near Lichfield and for the next 15 years led a peaceful country life. In 1827, however, he returned to the sea as captain of the Warspite, and sailed to the Mediterranean and acted in 1828 as the senior officer on the coast of Greece. In December 1828 William Parker was appointed to command the royal yacht Prince Regent.

On July 22, 1830, William Parker was promoted to the rank of rear-admiral. In the British Navy, there were three kinds of admirals--Rear-Admiral, Vice-Admiral and Admiral of the Fleet. The admirals had command of fleets like the Channel Fleet, the command of squadrons for special tasks like the conquest of the cape colony or the command of stations overseas like East India. They ordered the movement of their ships but were not allowed to order the sailors on the ship without the permission of their captain. They planned and ordered the missions. In April, 1831 was appointed second in command of the Channel squadron, under Sir Edward Codrington with his flag in the Prince Regent. In September, 1831 he was detached on an independent command on the Tagus, where he went to Asia to protect British interests during a civil war. When he returned to England, his tact in handling the situation in Asia brought him an appointment as one of the lords of the admiralty under Lourd Auckland. He left the Admiralty in 1841, having been briefly out of office when there was a change in ministry. He was then appointed commander-in-chief in China.

William Parker sailed for Hong Kong and assumed command of the squadron on August 10, 1841 and the British then proceeded to capture Amoy, Ningpo, Woosung and Shanghai, ending with the seizure of Chin-kiang-foo and closing the entrance to the Grand Canal on July 21, 1842. A peace was drawn up at Nankin in August. In return for his participation William Parker received a G.C.B in 1843, a good-service pension in 1844 and a baronetcy in 1841 In November of 1841 he had been appointed vice-admiral and in 1845 commander-in-chief in the Mediterranean

In 1846, because of his knowledge of both Portugal and its politics, he was appointed to command the Channel Fleet. In 1848, however, he returned to the Mediterranean. In 1852 he attained the rank of admiral and returned to England. He continued to be active, serving as a consultant on a variety of projects. One of these projects involved his participation as the head of a committee of naval officers appointed to review the decreasing numbers of seamen in the Navy. By the 1840's some 1,000 men were leaving the Navy each year, and the list of names on the Register of Seamen had dropped from 175,000 in 1839 to 150,000 by 1852, of whom 50,000 were exempt from service--only 4% of the men on the lists had ever served in the Navy. Fewer than 3,000 men had passed through the training establishment in more than 20 years. The committee's recommendations were part of an Order In Council dated April 1, 1853 and the Continuous Service Act later that year, taking effect from July 1, 1853. In 1862 William was appointed rear-admiral of the United Kingdom, and in 1863 admiral of the fleet.

William Parker died Nov. 13, 1866 from complications from bronchitis. He was buried in his parish churchyard near his home at Shenstone Lodge. A monument to his memory was erected in Lichfield Cathedral.

William Parker had two sons and six daughters.


Lineage of the 2nd Admiral Sir William Parker

The lineage of the Parker family which descends from the second Admiral Sir William Parker is presented below, as taken from the book The Life of the Admiral of the Fleet Sir William Parker, by Augustus Phillimore, published in 1876.

The Parker family of Parkhall, Staffordshire, traces their lineage back to St. Andrea de Gotham, who married the daughter and heir of William de Dura, of Gotham. His son was Gulielmus de Gotham, whose son Rogerus de Gotham received from Edward III the lands at Norton Lees in Derby, near Sheffield. Rogerus had attended Edward III during the siege of Calais in the 20th year of Edward's reign in 1347. Rogerus' son was Thomas de Gotham and his son was Adam de Gotham, both of Norton Lees.

Thomas Parker of Bulwell County Nottingham, born about 1360, son of Robert Parker, who was born about 1327, and Mrs. Robert Parker, born about 1331, married Elizabeth de Gotham, born about 1364, of Norton Lees, County Derby, daughter and heiress of Adam de Gotham. The direct line through this genealogical lineage is through Robert Parker, their son, who lived from 1386 to 1433, and married Elizabeth (or Margaret) Birley or Byrley.

John Parker, son of Robert Parker, lived from 1412 to 1482, married Hellen North, daughter of Roger North of Walkeringham, Norfolk, ancestor to the Earl of Guilford. Their children included:

1. Margaret, wife of John Selioke of Hazelborough.

2. Agnes, wife of John Barlow, of Woodhouse

3. John Parker (see below for continuation of this lineage)

4. Thomas

5. Robert

6. Henry Custos

7. Third daughter, who married Broadhurst

8. Fourth daughter, who married Ingham

9. John Shirley of Enfield, Middlesex, who married Margaret, daughter of John Wroth, of Enfield, Middlesex. Their daughter Barbara, married twice. Her first husband was John Wickham of Enfield, Middlesex, with whom she had a son William Wickham, Dean of Lincoln, 1580 and Bishop of Lincoln, 1584, and after Bishop of Winchester. He died in 1588. He married Antonia, daughter of W. Barlow, Bishop of Chichester. His mother Barbara, heiress of her uncle William, married a second time to John Taylor

10. William of Luton and yeoman de Pantry to Henry VIII.

The genealogical lineage traced in this document continues from John Parker, the eldest son of John and Hellen. John Parker was born about 1438, and married Elizabeth Eyre, daughter of Ralph Eyre, of Offerton in the Peak, Derbyshire, born about 1442. Their children were:

1. John Parker of Norton, who married Margery, daughter of Humphrey Okeover, of Okeover, Staffordshire and Isabella, daughter of Sir John Aston, of Park Hall, in Leigh, Staffordshire. Their children included John Parker, who married Barbara, daughter of Sir William West of Amberden Hall, Essex and Darley Abbey, and his wife Frances, daughter of Sir Richard Fitz Lewis. Sir William West was Vice Admiral to King Henry VIII and a Member of his Privy Council. Sir William West's older brother, John West married Anne, the daughter of Ralph Eyre of Offerton in the Peak, Derbyshire. John West of Aughton and his wife Anne Eyre were the parents of George West of Aughton whose second wife was Anne More, the widowed wife of John More the only son of Sir (Saint) Thomas More. John Parker who married Barbara West was buried at Norton Lees on June 15, 1573. John Parker and Margery also had sons William, Henry, George, Francis, Henry, Anthony, Thomas, Elisabeth, Jane, Joyce and Dorothy. Dorothy married John Caslin and secondly John Roden.

The children of John Parker and Barbara West included John Parker of Norton Lees, who married Mary, daughter of William Mason, of Edmonton Hall, Nottingham. They also had children Henry, who was actually the eldest, but died unmarried; John, who died in infancy; Francis, who died unmarried; and William, who died unmarried.

John Parker and Mary Mason had a son John Parker of Norton Lees, who married Ann, daughter of Gilbert Lynacre. They also had a daughter Rosamund, born about 1599, who died unmarried. John Parker and Ann had a daughter Ann, who married Francis Barker of Dore and Norton Lees. Therefore the direct male line was here discontinued. However, Ann had two sons, William Barker and Robert Barker. Robert married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Bucknall, Knight of Oxtarey County, Hertford and Alderman of London. Their son Robert Barker, of Drayton, Shropshire, married Hannah, daughter of Whitehouse of Coleman Street. Their son was Sir Robert Barker, Knight who had a command in the Artillery at the Manillas and for his bravery there was knighted at St. James on April 16, 1764.

2. George Parker, of Parwich, who married Margaret, daughter of Humphrey Pole.(see below for continuation of this lineage).

3. Henry Parker

4. Anthony Parker

5. Margaret Parker

George Parker, (#2 above) had a son William. William married Elizabeth, daughter of Humphrey Wilson. William died April 8, 1631. Their son Thomas, of Botsham, married Elizabeth, daughter and co-heir of ....Hobson, town of Cambridge. Another son, George, of Parkhall, parish of Caverswell, Staffordshire, was born in 1592. He was high sheriff for Stafford and married Grace, daughter of Hugh Bateman of Hartington, Derby. George died May 9, 1675. The children of George and Grace:

1. Elizabeth, wife of John Heigh, of Biggin Grange, Derby.

2. Anna, wife of Richard Levinge, Recorder of Chester.

3. William, who married twice, see line continued below.

4. Robert, cupbearer to Queen Catherine, the wife of Charles II.

5. Thomas of Leek, Staffordshire, who married Anne, second daughter and co-heir of Robert Venables, of Chester, who was the eldest son and heir of Robert Venables, of Antrobus, Chester. Their son Thomas, was First Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench, and after Lord High Chancellor and in 1721 created Earl of Macclesfield, with limitations to the issue of his daughter Elizabeth, wife of Sir William Heathcote, of Hursley Lodge. He married Janet, daughter and co-heir of Richard Carrier, of Wirksworth, Derby. They had no male children.

William, #3 above, was born in 1622. He commanded a Company of Foot in the service of Charles I and II and was present at most of the actions of the time. He was taken prisoner at the Isle of Sheppy and suffered for his loyalty to the king and died on August 12, 1703. He had married twice, his first wife being Bridget, daughter and heir of James Carrier, whom he married in 1640. His second wife was Helen, daughter of John Dawes of Cawkley, Derby and widow of Coyney of Weston Coyney. With his second wife he had a daughter, Mary, who married Robert of Narquis. With his first wife he had the following children:

1. George Parker of Parkhall, Staffordshire, who married Margaret, daughter of Sir John Turton, Knight of Orgreave, Staffordshire, and one of the Justices of the King's Bench during the reign of William III. George and Margaret married about 1690. George died in 1716. See below for continuation of this line.

2. Bridget, died unmarried on November 1, 1706.

3. Elizabeth, who married John Porter of Stallington. Elizabeth also later married Nicholas Mosley c 1694 – 1735, they had a son John Parker Mosley born 1732.

4. Grace, who married twice. Her first husband was Henry Adderly of Blockhaugh, Staffordshire and her second husband was Rev. John Welles, Vicar of Sandbach, Chester.

George, #1 above, who married Margaret Turton, had the following children:

1. William, their first son, died unmarried.

2. Thomas, the second son, was twice married. See below for continuation of this line.

3. George

4. John, Deputy Teller of the Exchequer. He married Elizabeth, daughter of George Fisher, Royal Navy and widow of Thomas Withers.

5. Robert, Rector of Elwick, Durham.

6. Anne, who died unmarried.

7. Grace, who died unmarried.

8. Elizabeth, who married Swynfen Jervis, of Meaford, Staffordshire, and was Councillor at Law and Auditor of Greenwich Hospital. Their son John married Martha, the daughter of Thomas Parker and Martha Strong. Therefore, Sir John Jervis was the son-in-law and also the nephew of Sir Thomas Parker. See Martha below. The children of Elizabeth Parker and Swynfen Jervis were:

a. William, who married Jane Hatsall

b. John, who married Martha, daughter of of Chief Baron Parker.

c. Elizabeth, who married Rev. Ed. Batwell

d. Mary Jervis (1737-1828), who married William Henry Ricketts (1736-1799). (sometimes spelled Rickets.)

William Henry and Mary Jervis Ricketts had two sons and a daughter:

1. William Henry Ricketts (November 4, 1764-1805), who married Elizabeth Jane Lambart (1775-1830) and they had two daughters. This was Elizabeth's first husband. His career was distinguished, so much so that it is worth mentioning in this genealogy.

(See also the connection to the Baker family)

Captain William Henry Ricketts
Captain William Henry Ricketts

William Henry Ricketts went to sea in 1781 on board the Foudroyant under his maternal uncle Sir John Jervis. He rose through the ranks to lieutenant and then commander. He served in action against the French fleet and was later posted to Jamaica and St. Domingo. Here he served under Sir John Duckworth and Sir Hyde Parker...."his several gallant exploits gained him the approbation of both those commanders-in-chief....the individual instances which occurred during a period of two years constant and active service, in a country swarming with enemy's privateers of all descriptions, in which uniform zeal, discretion, and resolution were displayed, were very numerous. Captain Ricketts' activity detected much of the illicit trade then carried on by the Americans....upwards of forty sail of letters of marque of various sizes, were taken or destroyed by his indefatigable little squadron." In 1801 he received "royal license and authority to use and take the surname of his illustrious and noble relative" Sir John Jervis, Earl St. Vincent. He was thereafter known as Captain Jervis. In 1803 he was attached to the Channel Fleet, where he was drowned: "Upon the squadron resuming its station off Rochfort, in January, 1805, it was discovered that the Doris frigate had been wrecked, and that the Rochfort squadron had escaped from port. The rear-admiral, anxious to apprise the commander-in-chief of such an event, without delay, dispatched the Tonnant to the Channel fleet; and on his arrival there, on the 25th of January, Captain Jervis, eager to make the communication, left the Tonnant in one of the ship's boats to proceed to the St. Josef, the flag ship of the Vice Admiral Sir Charles Cotton. Unfortunately, when she got about half way a sea broke into the boat and before the crew could extricate her, another sea broke; she upset and Captain Jervis and one of the boat's crew were drowned." (Taken from The Naval Chronicle for 1808 Containing a General and Biographical History of the Royal Navy of the United Kingdom. Volume XX, London, pages 1-14.)

2. Edward Jervis Ricketts, Viscount St. Vincent.

3.Mary, who married Capt. Hon. W. Carnegie, afterwards the Earl of Northesk.

Note: For more information on this, see the website below, created by Mike Scott-Williams from South Africa, whose sister-in-law is related to the Jervis line.

Thomas, #2 above, was born in 1695. He married twice and had children with each wife. He was a Knight and was successfully Serjeant at Law, Baron of the Exchequer, Justice of Common Pleas, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, which he resigned October 23, 1772, having held it longer than any of his predecessors ever had.

Thomas' first wife was Anne, youngest daughter and co-heir of James Whitehall of Pipe Ridware, Staffordshire. They were married at Lambeth on July 22, 1731. She died Feb. 21, 1739. Their children were:

1. Thomas of Park Hall, was born September 28, 1732. He married Mary, only daughter and heir of Thomas Hawe of Walson, Staffordshire on May 2, 1764. Thomas died December 2, 1797. His line is continued below.

2. George, the second son, married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of John Turton of Orgreave, Staffordshire, on February 4, 1769. He died January 25, 1819. His line also is continued below.

Thomas' second wife was Martha (born about 1700-1705), third daughter and co-heir of Edward Strong, of Greenwich, Kent and widow of Henry Cramner of Quarndon, Essex. Their children were:

1.Martha, who was born approximately 1740. She married, on June 5, 1783 in Westminster, England, Sir John Jervis. Sir John was a Knight of the Bath and Admiral of White, Earl of St. Vincent, youngest son of Swynfen Jervis, of Meaford, Staffordshire. Sir John's mother, Elizabeth, above as the daughter of George and Margaret Parker, and wife of Swynfen Jervis, was Martha's aunt. John was the second son of Swynfen Jervis, born at Meaford in Staffordshire in January of 1735, and entered the navy January 4, 1749. He was promoted to lieutenant in 1755 and participated in the conquest of Quebec. After 1810 he retired to his country home at Rochetts in Essex. In 1821, when George IV became king, he was made admiral of the fleet. He died March 14, 1823. When he died, there had been no children, so his earldom became extinct. However, a viscounty, created for him in 1801, was passed to Edward Jervis Ricketts (1767-1857), the second son of the above Swynfen and Elizabeth Parker Jervis' daughter Mary. The Viscount took the name of Jervis and apparently this title is still held by descendants.

Martha Parker

Martha Parker
Wife of Admiral Sir John Jervis, Earl of St. Vincent.
From her memorial at Caverswall.

A monument to Martha reads as follows: Martha Countess St. Vincent: Sacred to the memory of Martha, Countess of St. Vincent, who was eminently pious, virtuous and charitable. She departed this life on the 8th day of February, 1816, aged 75 years and was at her own desire buried in the tomb of her parents. This monument was erected by her surviving husband.

Will of the Late Earl of St. Vincent.

From The Times, London England, April 22, 1823. The late Earl of St. Vincent's will was proved in the Prerogative Court, Doctors' Commons, on the 12th inst., by the oaths of Osborne Markham, Esq., Thomas Jervis, Esq., and Benjamin Tucker, Esq., the executors; the personal estate being sworn under 30,000. The estate called Rochetts, in Essex, with the freeholds and copyholds, are devised to the Earl's great niece, Martha Honora Georgina Jervis, and her heirs male and female, with usual entailments; in default, to Henrietta Elizabeth Jervis, in like manner, with remainder to Lord Rosehill, the Hon. John Jervis Carnegie, and others. The manor of Aston, in the county of Stafford, and all other real property, is left to his great nephew, John Edward Ricketts, in tail male, subject to an annuity of 300. for life to the testator's sister, Mary Ricketts, widow. The plate is to descend as an heir-loom with the Rochetts estate; and amongst articles of value directed to be appropriated in a similar manner, are a gold medal of Lord Anson; a diamond snuff-box, presented to the Earl by the Prince Regent of Portugal; an enamelled one from the Duchess of Glocester; a medal from his Majesty commemorative of the victory over the Spanish fleet on the 14th of February, 1797; a sword from the city of London, & c. To Lady Elizabeth Fane is given a portrait of the first Earl of Macclesfield; all other pictures accompany the aforsaid heir-looms; that of old Richard, a faithful servant of the family, is particularly directed to be preserved. The residue of the personal estate is to be applied in augmentation of the Aston estate. The will is dated the 14th of October, 1817.

2. Laetetia, who married Rev. Thomas Heathcote, second son of Sir Thomas Heathcote, of Hursley Lodge.

Thomas, #1 above, who married Mary Hawe, had the following children:

1. Thomas, who died as an infant.

2. Robert of Parkhall

3. Thomas, who died unmarried in 1856.

4. Maria, who died as an infant.

5. Harriet, who died unmarried on January 12, 1832 at the age of 61.

6. Mary Anne, who married in 1814 Edward Jervis Ricketts, afterwards Viscount St. Vincent; and died January 1, 1855 at the age of 82. Edward Jervis Ricketts' brother was William Henry Ricketts.

7. Elizabeth, who died unmarried on August 18, 1826 at the age of 45.

George, the second son of Thomas and Anne Whitehall, was born in 1734. He married Elizabeth Turton, eldest daughter of John Turton of Orgreave, Staffordshire. Elizabeth died on June 3, 1808. Their children were:

1. George, who died April 8, 1809.

2. John, Rector of St. George Botolph Lane, London and Norton, Essex, who died November 13, 1812.

3. William, Captain in the Royal Navy. His line is continued below.

4. Thomas, who died unmarried.

5. Edward, Captain of the Royal Engineers, killed at Orthes in 1814.

6. Martha, who died January 1, 1819.

7. Anne, who died unmarried.

8. Elizabeth, who married John Nuttall of Norley, on May 18, 1802 at Cathedral, Lichfield, Stafford, England. John Nuttall died November 26, 1813.

9. Frances, who died unmarried.

William, #3 above, married Frances Anne, youngest daughter of Sir. Theophilus Biddulph, Birbury Hall, Warwickshire. Their children were:

1. William who died as an infant.

2. William Biddulph, who married Jane Constance, only daughter of Sir Theophilus Biddulph of Birdingbury.

3. George, who married Anne Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of W. Mackworth Praed, of Delamore, Devon. Their children included William Frederic; George Mackworth, who died as an infant; Mackworth Praed; Mary Frances Susan; Evelyn Annie; and Alice Georgina, who died as an infant.

4. Frances Jane, who married Francis Abbot, Secretary to P.O. Edinburgh.

5. Elizabeth Anne, who died unmarried

6. Charlotte Martha, who married Honorable George H. Douglas, second son of the 17th Earl of Morton.

7. Rose Augusta, who married Lt. Col. Vesey Browne, of Dromard County Limerick.

8. Julia Caroline

9. Emily Georgiana

John Edwards

John Edwards was a sugar plantation owner in Antigua. John Edwards and his wife had a son, Charles Edward Parker Edwards, born 1853. Admiral Sir William Parker was said to be Charles' great uncle. For generations, the Parker name was passed on to male descendants. John Edwards was a West Indian Planter at the time of the marriage of his son Charles, on June 1st, 1875.

Charles Edward Parker Edwards

Charles Edward Parker Edwards (1853-1930) married Sarah Frances Crews June 1, 1875 at Newton Abbot, Devon. They were married at St. Mark's Church in the parish of Torwood.

Sarah Frances Crews

Sarah Frances Crews was born at Christchurch, Hampshire May 30, 1850. Sarah was the daughter of James Henry Lamb Crews, a coast guardsman of Haven, Christchurch, and his wife Jane Crews, formerly Woolcock or Woodcock. James and Jane were married August 1829 at Brixham. James Henry Lamb Crews was born September 16, 1808 at Brixham, Devon. He was the son of Jeremiah Crews, who was baptized January 2, 1767 at Newton Abbott, Devon. Jeremiah Crews was also a Coast Guard and married Elizabeth Lyde Lamb who was baptized July 22, 1772 and married on July 21, 1793 at Brixham, Devon. Jeremiah and Elizabeth had another son, Theodosius Crews who was baptized Dec 14, 1809 Brixham, Devon, England. James Henry Lamb Crews died at Castor, Brixham on September 30, 1891, at the age of 83. His wife, Jane died at Burton, Christchurch on October 24, 1893 at the age of 88. Both James Henry Lamb Crews and his wife Jane Crews were attended at their deaths by their son-in-law, Thomas Chown.

At the time of Charles and Sarah's wedding in 1875, James Crews was a Pensioner, H. M. Customs. Charles was a mariner, living at 2 Park Place, Torwood. Sarah's residence at the time of the marriage was 7 Bolton Street, Brixham.

The children of Charles Edward Parker Edwards and Sarah Frances Crews

Harold Sydney Parker Edwards

Their first born son, Harold Sydney Parker Edwards was born 1876 at Richmond, Surrey. His Godmother was Gertrude MacDonald, wife of a retired Colonel. The 1881 census shows the family living at 8 Inverness, St. Peters, Kent, England. Harold is 5 years old, and living with his mother Sarah Edwards, age 30, and Gertrude MacDonald, age 46, and a female servant named Julia Smith. Charles is presumed to be at sea at the time of the census.

Ethel Mary Edwards

Ethel Mary Edwards was born about 1878 to Charles and Frances Edwards. The LDS shows Ethel Mary Edwards was born to Charles and Frances Edwards, and christened December 19, 1878 at Broadstairs, Kent, England. At the time of the 1881 British census, Ethel, aged 2, was living at 23 Sillwood Rd, Brighton, Sussex with her aunt, Alice Edwards. Alice is unmarried, a British subject born 1852 in Antigua, W. I. and her occupation is boarding housekeeper. A servant named Minnie Watts lived in the household. At the time of the 1891 census, Ethel Mary Edwards was living at 39 Ashburnham Rd., Bedford. She is listed as a visitor, a scholar aged 12, and living with a family named Livesey. Cecilia Livisey is the head of the household which includes her five children, Ethel Mary Edwards, and a general servant. Ethel married Ernest Gilbert Rooke. Ernest Rooke was living in Winnipeg at the time of the 1901 census. He was a lodger, single, aged 29, who was born December 5, 1871 in England. He had come to Canada in 1894 and was working as a clerk. Ethel and Ernest Rooke's wedding date was November 6th. They had a daughter Daphne Frances Rooke, who was born in Durham County, Ontario on November 18, 1904. Ethel died at the age of 31 on March 23, 1910 at Nelson, B.C. At the 1911 census, Ernest Rooke was a widower, aged 39 and living in Nelson, B.C. His occupation was journalist. His daughter Daphne Frances, aged 6, was living with him, and also a housekeeper. In 1960, Daphne Rooke lived in Toronto and was working with the Ontario Power Commission.

Henley Charles Rupert Edwards

Henley Charles Rupert Edwards was born September 15, 1881 at 23 Sillwoood Rd, Brighton, Sussex. At the time of his birth, his father's occupation was listed as Captain in Merchant Service.

The 1891 census shows the family to be living at 37 Spenser Rd, Bedford. Charles Edward Parker Edwards is presumed to be at sea. His wife Sarah is age 40, son Harold is age 15, and younger son Henley is 9 years of age. A 22 year old single servant, Elizabeth S. Adams, lives with the family.

On October 14, 1897, Henley sailed from Liverpool to Quebec aboard the ship, Parisian of the Allan Line. He was a single 16 year old sailing for Montreal, Canada. The 1901 Canadian census reveals that Henley C. R. had come to Canada from England in 1899. Henley was living as a lodger at that time doing farm labour in Manitoba. Henley later sailed into the United States through Ellis Island. Records show that on February 15, 1903, at the age of 21, Henley sailed into New York stating that his residence was in Winnipeg. On August 24, 1913, at the age of 31, Henley, still single, sailed into New York and listed his occupation as actor. He listed his next of kin to be his parents, Captain and Mrs. Edwards, The Den, Christchurch, England.

Henley Charles Rupert Edwards with his wife Ada and her sister

Henley and Ada Edwards

Caption on reverse; " I took this at my brother in law's place yesterday February 15th 1959. Not very good, taken in late afternoon, morning is best. Ada on my right. Sister in law on my left. Henley."

Henley later married Ada E. and settled in the USA. He became a US citizen and was a motorman with the railroad. The final 6 1/2 years of his life were spent at Mound Park Hospital in St. Petersburg, Florida. He died March 30, 1963 at the age of 81. Henley's wife, Ada E. Edwards died February 18, 1971.

At age 62, Charles E. P. Edwards left England and sailed aboard the S.S. St. Louis to New York City. He departed from Liverpool and arrived at Ellis Island, New York on December 6, 1915. He was joining the steamer, "Herbert G. Wylie" in New York. His birthplace is given as Antigua, West Indies. He was travelling alone and gave his wife's address as The Den, Avenue Rd., Christchurch. Charles' occupation is given as "Master Mariner." His height is 5'6" and he has a fair complexion with fair hair and grey eyes.

During 1918, Charles was still in active service with the Royal Marines. Sarah Frances, his wife was living at Christchurch, England.

Charles Edward Parker Edwards died April 16, 1930 at Christchurch. The following article was published in the local newspaper.

THE LATE CAPTAIN EDWARDS TORPEDOED OFF IRISH COAST DURING WAR The funeral took place at Christchurch on Saturday of Captain Edward Parker Edwards who died suddenly at his residence, The Den, Avenue Road, Christchurch on the preceding Wednesday. The deceased had been mowing his lawn in the morning and had complained of a little pain in his side, but did not attach any importance to it. He passed peacefully away in his sleep during the same night in his 78th year. The deceased was a distinguished and experienced mercantile marine officer having sailed the seas for the whole of his lifetime until he retired at Christchurch about ten years ago. He built the Den some twenty years ago his wife making her home there. He had sailed to every part of the world and Mrs. Edwards had accompanied him on many of his journeys, while the greatest sympathy is felt for her in the loss of her husband after 55 years of married life. The late Captain Edwards was born in the West Indies where his father had an estate but he early went to sea and gained promotion rapidly. In his younger days he was in the cable ship Faraday and for a short time served with the P. and O. Line. By his own choice however he selected to serve with ocean going tramp steamers of which he commanded several chiefly of American lines. During the war, he had the experience of being torpedoed while in command of the American steamer Rockingham, which had thirteen American gunners on board. When about 150 miles of the coast of Ireland two German submarines were sighted, one on each side of the Rockingham. The gunners were at their posts but the submarines submerged before the Rockingham guns could open fire and Captain Edwards was unable to get clear as he had done on previous occasions by steering a zig zag course, as he had a submarine on his port as well as his starboard quarter. Both the enemy craft fired torpedoes and the resultant explosion killed two of the crew and smashed one of the four lifeboats. The remainder of those on board got away in the other three lifeboats one of which got separated from the other two in the course of the night. The Rockingham went down in twenty minutes. Captain Edwards guided the two lifeboats to Londonderry where he landed barefoot, while the remaining members of the crew in the other boat where picked up and saved by another ship. Mourners present: Mr. C. Crewes, Lowestoft, nephew, Mrs. G. Budden, niece, Mrs. Beavis, niece, Messrs. G. Budden, C. Martin, John Gerrad, Southhampton, Chapman of Bournemouth. The deceased leaves two sons, one in The U.S. and one in Canada.

The death certificate for Charles Edward Parker Edwards indicates that he died between 11 p.m. April 15th, 1930 and 7 a.m. April 16th 1930 at "The Den,"Avenue Road, Christchurch. Charles was 77 years of age and a retired Captain in the Merchant Service. He died of Angina Pectoris. Sarah Edwards, his widow was present at his death, which was registered on April 17, 1930.

In a letter written by Sarah Edwards from Boscombe, May 31st, 1932, to her daughter in law, Amy Edwards, she mentions the settlement of Aunt Amy's estate. Henley was to have 2 shares, Daphne 1 share, Bertie 1 share, and Sarah Edwards 4 shares. Sarah Edwards had decided to give 2 of her shares to her son Harold so that he would have the same as his brother Henley, and her other 2 shares were to be given to her grandchildren Dick and Frances Edwards so they would have the same as their cousin Daphne.

Major Harold Sidney Parker Edwards (1876-1964)

Major Harold Sidney Parker Edwards

Lt. H. S. (Teddy) Edwards
(caption under photo)

Harold was born Feb. 24, 1876, in Richmond, Surrey, England, and died Sept. 2, 1964. He was the son of Charles Edward Parker Edwards (1852-1930), a sailor, and Sarah Frances Crews Edwards. Harold's birth was registered as Harold Sydney Parker Edwards, but as an adult, he signed his name Harold Sidney Parker Edwards. Harold's wife, Amy Wyatt Patterson was born July 30, 1878 and died March 16, 1968. They were married on October 18, 1902.

Marriage Notice for Edwards - Patterson

Winnipeg Free Press

All Saints' Church, Winnipeg, on the 18th Oct., 1902, Harold S. P. Edwards, son of Capt. Edwards, R. M., of Bedford, England, to Amy Wyatt, daughter of George Patterson, deputy attorney-general, of Winnipeg.

Major Edwards had a distinguished military career. Before his marriage to Amy Wyatt Patterson in 1902, he served in South Africa during the Boer War. The Orange Free State and the Transvaal Republic fought against Britain; Canada supported Britain. The First Contingent was sent from Canada and was composed of 8 companies, Harold being in Company A from British Columbia and Manitoba. Harold was 23 years old when he enlisted on October 24, 1899 with the 2nd Special Service Battalion R.C.F.; his regimental number was 7044. He was invalided with an enteric infection to England and then discharged on November 20, 1900. On September 26, 1901, Harold received his medals in Winnipeg. Private Edwards was awarded the Queens Medal with 3 clasps; Paardeberg, Dreifontein, and Cape Colony.

The 1906 census for Manitoba reveals that Harold Edwards immigrated to Canada in 1898. At the time of the census, the family was headed by Harold's father-in-law, George Patterson, a widower aged 60 who lived on Bell Ave. Son Harold D. Patterson, single, age 30 and daughter Winifred Patterson, single age 24 also lived in the household. Harold Edwards, married and aged 30 lived with his wife Amy Edwards, aged 28. A female servant lived also with the family.

Harold and Amy Edwards spent time in England during 1906 at a home called "Antigua," Irving Road, Bournemouth. Harold was an estate agent and during the stay in England, their son, Richard Sydney Parker Edwards was born. The birth was registered by Amy Wyatt Edwards on the 31st of December, 1906. Richard's birth was registered in the district of Christchurch, County of Southampton.

After the birth of Richard Sydney Parker Edwards, the family left Bournemouth via Southampton aboard the ship, S. S. Minneapolis. On March 5, 1907, they arrived at Ellis Island, New York in transit to Winnipeg, Manitoba. Harold was 30 years of age, Amy was 28 and their infant son was 3 months old.

The 1911 census shows that Harold S. Edwards and his family lived at 217 River Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba. Harold was a real estate agent for Hugo Ross Company, born February 1876, aged 35. Harold's wife Amy was aged 32, born July, 1878. Their son Richard Edwards was aged 4, born in England November, 1906. Their daughter Frances was aged 3, born in Manitoba, January, 1908. Also living with the family was a 26 year old domestic named Ethel Colby.

Harold, known as Teddy, continued his military career in Winnipeg with the Royal Canadian Regiment, 90th Battalion Winnipeg Rifles. Two years of service were served in France. With the outbreak of World War I, he joined the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force in Winnipeg on December 4, 1914 and was assigned to the 27th Battalion. He sailed from Quebec aboard the S. S. Carpathia on May 17, 1915. During his service in the first world war, he served as Captain in Canada, England and France. The Saturday August 14, 1915 edition of the Winnipeg Free Press quoted Teddy Edwards in a small story about the Winnipeg Bulldogs. Mayor Waugh of Winnipeg had called the 27th Battalion the "Winnipeg Bulldogs" on the eve of their departure from Canada. Some postcards depicting this were produced and one had been received in the mail by Mayor Waugh from Teddy Edwards. Teddy wrote, "The name you gave us is ours for keeps and we will make it good." Teddy Edwards was formerly of Hugo Ross Realty Co. office staff, and wished to be remembered by friends in Winnipeg.

Major Harold Sidney Parker Edwards (1876-1964)

Major Harold Sidney Parker Edwards

Major H. S. (Teddy) Edwards

Harold suffered a shrapnel wound to the left leg, causing a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula, at Ypres, Belgium, on June 11, 1916. This required several operations and he spent seven months in hospitals in England. He was sent home to Winnipeg for continued medical treatment. He was appointed to the rank of Major and placed on light duty serving with the 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment in 1917. In April of 1919, he was declared medically unfit for service and discharged. Harold moved to Vancouver B.C. where he worked as a real estate agent until 1945. He remained in Vancouver until his death in 1964.

Obituary of Harold Sidney Parker Edwards

Vancouver Sun

Edwards-September 2, 1964, at Shaughnessy Hospital, Harold Sidney Edwards (major, retired), aged 88 years. Late of 3424 Dundas Street. Survived by one daughter, Frances, Winnipeg. The deceased was a veteran of the Boer War and served with the City of Winnipeg 27th Battalion, World War I; also a member of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch Number 2, New Westminster. Funeral service Friday, September 4 at 11 a.m. in the Roselawn Funeral Chapel, Broadway at Commercial Drive, Reverend R. Durnford officiating. Cremation.

Another obituary was published in the Winnipeg Free Press, Thurs, Sept. 3, 1964. Harold Sidney Parker Edwards. Died, on Sept. 2, 1864 at the Shaughnessy Hospital, Vancouver, B.C., Harold Sidney Parker Edwards, of 3424 Dundas Street, formerly of Winnipeg, aged 87 years. Mr. Edwards was a veteran of the South African War and served in World War I with the 27th Battalion and was active in real estate business all his life. Surviving are his wife, Amy; one son Richard of Barrie, Ont., one daughter Frances of Winnipeg; four grandchildren; eight great grandchildren; one niece Miss Daphne Rook of Toronto. Funeral service will be held 11:00 am Friday at Roselawn 1669 East Broadway, Vancouver, B.C.

The children of Amy Wyatt Patterson and Harold Sidney Parker Edwards are:

Richard Sydney Parker Edwards

Dick was born November 11, 1906 in Christchurch, County of Southampton, England and died May 25, 1991 in Barrie, Ontario, Canada. He married Iris Mustonen, born June 25, 1910 in Madison, Wisconsin and died December 31, 1972 in Florida. Dick grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

Dick Edwards

Dick Edwards as a baby

On August 28th, 1925, Dick became a member of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. Discharge Papers indicate that the officer was of very good conduct while in the service, and of trustworthy character. Dick was discharged on May 4, 1928. In the fall of 1936, Dick moved his wife Iris, and two small children, Doris and Peggy, to London, Ontario. As a member of Princess Patricia's, Corporal R. S. Edwards attended the first militia tank school to open in Canada at Wolseley Barracks on November 1, 1936. Major-General F. F. Worthington set out to organize and train officers of the various permanent force units in Canada for at least ten months so that they would become capable of handling an army tank. The aim was to make every soldier mechanically minded, unlike the old days where every calvary man was a horse master. On May 1st, 1938 the tank school was moved to Camp Borden, and the Edwards family moved to nearby Barrie, Ontario. In 1938, Dick was an instructor in Driving and Maintenance at the Canadian Armed Fighting Vehicles Training Centre at Camp Borden. He was commissioned in July, 1940. In May, 1942, Dick was sent overseas as a reinforcement officer for the Canadian Armoured Corps, serving Canada during World War 2 as a lieutenant. His job was to forward reinforcements to the Division. In static conditions the job was described by Lieut. Edwards as fairly easy. On schemes and operations the job became much more difficult as everybody was on the move. Statically, no one would be held longer than overnight, but on operations, the job involved holding, feeding, and looking after up to 1500 men until they were needed. Lieut. Edwards was later attached to the 14th Army Tank Regiment, Calgary Regiment.


An airgraph sent home during World War 2 for Dick Edwards' son, Jack Edwards

In January, 1944, Dick was promoted to the rank of Captain. In August, 1944, Captain Edwards was sent from England to France and landed on the beach near Berniere-sur-mer, where he was in command of a new company as the advance against Germany accelerated. At one point, the troops were moving at the rate of 30 miles per day, and by September, 1944, Captain Edwards was in Belgium. They crossed into Holland by December and were crossing back and forth from Holland to Germany during March and April, 1945. When the end of World War 2 was finally a reality, Captain Edwards was sent to England for a well deserved leave. In this time, he rested and prepared to return to Canada while celebrating the end of the war with friends. During his period of active service, Richard was awarded the 1939-45 Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp, and War Medal 1939-45. At the end of the war, Captain R. S. Edwards sailed home to his wife and children from England aboard the Ile de France in July 1945. The ship docked in Halifax and the returning troops were sent by train to Toronto. Captain Edwards had been away from his family for over 3 years. He was discharged from service October 24, 1947 and the family continued to live in Barrie. Dick was then employed by the Canadian government, working for the post office. Upon retirement in 1972, Dick and Iris sold their home and moved to Florida to retire.

Richard Sydney Parker Edwards

Richard Sydney Parker Edwards

For more on the family of Dick and Iris Edwards, see the Finnish ancestry page of this website.

Frances Annie Edwards

Frances Annie Edwards

Frances was born January 25, 1908 on Norquay St., Winnipeg, Manitoba. Her godparents were Mabel and John Sproat. France died February 15, 1987. While Frances Annie Edwards never married, she left her family a valuable legacy through her meticulous family records which account for much of the information we have today. Frances Annie lived all her life in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Her death notice says, in part, "She was employed with the C.N.R. for many years and was a devoted worker for the Salvation Army and was actively involved with the Canadian Save the Children Fund." Frances is buried with her mother Amy Wyatt Edwards at St John's Cathedral Cemetery and Churchyard in Winnipeg.