ORTH FAMILY HISTORY
PICTURES - CHURCHES AND GRAVESTONES
This is a picture of Trinity Lutheran Church located at Lot 51 of Concession 5 of Wallace Township, Perth County, Ontario. Peter Orth was one of the founding members of this congregation in 1874. The first church was a frame structure on one acre of land donated by Leonard Schinbein. The first church of this site served the congregation for 33 years.
This is the cemetery at Trinity Lutheran Church in Wallace Township. Peter Orth
and his wife and many of his relativesare buried in this graveyard. Unfortunately,
both the gravestones for Peter and hiswife, Anna, are now illegible due to the long exposure to the elements.
This is the gravestone of Philip Jacob Orth, the brother of Peter Orth. Philip is buried in the cemetery at St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Wallace Township. The gravestone is written in German. It reads:
"Zum Andeken an/ Philip Jacob Orth / gestorben / Mai 30, 1879 / in Alter 64 Jahren / u. 11 Tagen /"
(In the memory of Philip Jacob Orth, died May 30, 1879, age 64 years and 11 days).
This the gravestone of Katerina (Orth) Nickel, the wife of Johannes Nickel. The grave is located in the cemetery of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Wallace Township. There are many Orth and Nickel family members buried in this cemetery. Katerina was a sister to Peter Orth and Philip Jacob Orth. The stone is written in German. It reads:
"Hier ruhet in Gott/ Katherina / Nickel/ geb. Orth / geb. 18 Sept. / 1835/ gest. 30 Sept./ 1922 /"
(Here rests in God, Katerina Nickel, born Orth, born September 18, 1835, died, September 30, 1922).
Johannes Nickel was born on September 15, 1829 and died on March 6, 1899.
This is a picture of St. Paul's Lutheran Church located at Lot 30, Concession 5 of Wallace Township in Perth County, Ontario. The congregation of this church was formed on April 30, 1864. Peter Orth was one of the founding members. The first church on the site was a log building with the pews made out of the bark from the logs that were used to build the church. The present day church was built in 1888. In 1874, there was a division in the congregation and a group left, including Peter Orth, who then formed the new congregation of Trinity Lutheran Church. The cemetery at this church is located immediately right to the building.
|This is a picture of the
gravestone of Catherine Orth, daughter of
Fanny (Kurtz) and Philop (sic) Orth, located in the Brotherston
Mennonite Cemetery at Con. 7, Lot 43 of Wallace Township, Perth County,
Ontario, Canada. Catherine was a daughter of Philip H. Orth, a son
of Johannes Orth, who was a brother of Johann Peter Orth. She died
on October 18, 1876 at the age of 10 years. In 1880, Philip and
Fanny and their children moved to Osceola County in Michigan,
U.S.A. Catherine is the only member of that family who died and
was buried in Canada.
The gravestone epithet reads "She's gone to dwell/ And rest in God's eternity".
HOME PREVIOUS TOP OF THE PAGE