The following links to intelligent alternative and moderate news sources serve as an excellent antidote the the mainstream conservative press. All links will open in a new window.
Alternative Media: Canada
Alternative Media: United States
The US has a great collection of alternative media sources. Which is a good thing, because there is NO moderate mainstream media in the US - even supposedly "liberal" US papers and other media are deeply conservative, corporate and parochial. No wonder Americans seem so alienated. Although the alternative media listed below tend to focus inwards, they remain interesting because American issues affect us all.
- GNN: Guerilla News Network: An excellent and innovative alternative site. They collect a wide variety of sharp (and occasionally flaky) alternative news, and produce brilliant video clips. Read the news here that you can't get elsewhere.
- Economic Policy Institute: Hard-nosed, rigorous economic analysis which demonstrates the emptiness of neo-con rhetoric.
- Center for Economic and Policy Research: Sharp, intelligent counter-punches demolishing the empty economic platitudes of the right, providing us with the facts we need.
- The Nation: Very US oriented, but full of high quality progressive journalism.
- TomPaine.com: Similar.
- Michael Moore: Michael Moore can be annoying and embarassing, and he can be intellectually sloppy. But he's not afraid to match the Right rhetorically, and he knows how to communicate. In other words, he gets himself heard, which is more than can be said for a lot of progressives.
- AFL-CIO Paywatch: A clever site where you can compare your pay to that of a CEO. Lots of other resources too.
- AlterNet: A slightly staid collection of reprinted and original alternative work.
- Salon Magazine: Truly excellent on-line writing on many subjects. Moderate and mixed.
- Common Dreams News Center: Collection of progressive writing, mostly from the US.
- In These Times: Quite original material and perspectives.
- Buzzflash.com: Enjoyably rabid progressive controversial journalism.
- Sustainable Energy and Economy Network: Good, solid analysis of energy issues.
- CorpWatch: "Holding Corporations Accountable" - lots of interesting investigations from around the world.
Alternative Media: International
Internationally, even mainstream newspapers print hard-nosed, progressive investigative journalism. And there are a wealth of alternative perspectives. They show us what we are missing here in North America.
- The Guardian: This English newspaper is the very model of high quality journalism, analysis and writing. Why can't WE have one? Check out Larry Elliot in particular. Warning: pop-up ads for English stuff.
- New Statesman: The British magazine of the left.
- Greg Palast: Investigative journalist in England who writes about the US ... he digs up great stuff and presents it well.
- Food First: Excellent, serious site dedicated to food and agriculture issues.
- 50 Years is Enough: Organization dedicated to transforming the World Bank and IMF.
- Narco News: All the news you never hear about Latin America and the War on Drugs. Vigorous stuff, to say the least.
Alternative media: Technology
- useit.com - Jakob Neilsen: Although it's not overtly alternative, Jakob Neilsen's usability advice counters the ongoing corporatization of the web. Although I created this site without knowing his work, I discovered that his approach supports my initial instincts, which has encouraged me to maintain my simple original design.
Back to main page
Copyright Dylan Reid
Contents may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the written consent of Dylan Reid