Home

Assessing the condition of Tarka

Tarka's engine is a Volvo MD6A - original equipment. It looked good  and it turned over but we couldn't get fuel through the injector pump. We hired a qualified Volvo diesel mechanic to evaluate the engine. He advised us that it would be an expensive proposition to bring the engine back to working condition. It had no compression, most likely from frozen rings. The injector pump would have had to have been rebuilt. Since we were considering 1500 miles of mostly motoring down the Intracoastal Waterway, we bit the bullet and ordered a new one. engine.jpg (425972 bytes)
Cleaning out the interior was an interesting lesson in rodent anatomy. We found dead mice in many tiny nooks and crannies. It got to the point where I was afraid of what I might find as I reached into places I could not see into. As we began the process of refurbishing the interior we uncovered many places where we could not remove the oil stains. Several bulkheads were delaminating or had rot at the bottom. Much of which was to be expected after an around the world voyage and 6 years of storage. We decided that building new pieces was easier than refinishing. Vega reno 008.jpg (294904 bytes)
The stanchions were bent. Stanchion.jpg (262137 bytes)
We tried out the depth sounder. It wasn't even connected to a battery but it worked! It seems that it had been jury rigged with interior batteries. There was a VHF radio that worked, an expired epirb (it worked but we were wary of bringing in the Search and Rescue team). We also found a Loran C - brand new in the box. Too bad it is out of date. electronics.jpg (42511 bytes)
This is where we removed the depth sounder sender. It was installed under the stove. ds hole.jpg (60523 bytes)
We found a rubber dinghy which we sent to have evaluated and repaired.   
 

Home