Home

Installing the new interior

We start with an empty (and I mean empty) interior. The first step was washing, and washing and powerwashing and more washing. We then sanded the interior lightly to improve adhesion. We had to wipe all of the bare fiberglass with cleaner for the mold release. Definitely needed a mask!! The interior aft of the companionway was painted with white Bilgekote. We also painted all of the locker interiors with it. The visible surfaces - the coach roof and sides were painted with Interlux Brightside - Hatteras white. Home Reno 035.jpg (327671 bytes)
The first pieces we put back were the port and starboard halves of the main bulkhead. We then jacked up the coach roof  because the deck had settled. We carefully duplicated the position of the main beam and through bolted everything together. Then we took it all apart and applied glue. We then put the bolts back and included an aluminum plate on the forward section to reinforce it all. IMG_0020.JPG (984672 bytes)
Job well done. Taking a breather. IMG_0024.JPG (967073 bytes)
We mixed up several batches of icing (microspheres and epoxy) to fill in the gaps all around the bulkhead. We concocted a pastry bag from a ziploc bag and a piece of hose. The space at the top was a real challenge. We had to work fast as it sets up quickly. As we worked we included the rubber gasket along the top. IMG_0057.JPG (1081631 bytes)
Piece by piece we installed the rest of the interior woodwork. IMG_0040.JPG (1225133 bytes)
We chose to make most of the boat identical to the original. We need to try things out before making changes.  IMG_0074.JPG (1084322 bytes)
We installed cutouts in the bunks to make access easier. Now we have a resting spot. IMG_0536.JPG (1956396 bytes)
   
 

Home