H O F T E C
By law the owner has to manage the maintenance of the aircraft. The following are steps toward good management practices.
At home, or with your confrères:
- Make a repair budget. Prioritize what you wish to fix. e.g. seat belts, new ELT, prop balancing, new radio, new cylinder, new windshield, etc.
- Bring Technical Logs up-to-date.
- Obtain latest ADís and SBís applicable to your aircraft. Have a complete file.
If you have an annual coming due:
If not, then:
- Make a list of all inspections due - scheduled and out of phase. Discuss with your mechanic.
- Communicate with the mechanic/shop manager. Obtain estimate of time and money. Agree on what needs doing.
- Bring detailed written discrepancy list.
- Bring them a clean airplane ready to work on.
- Be clear about how shop charges Ė apprentices etc.
- Ascertain shop has all required data for your aircraft.
- Ask if shop has appropriate insurance.
- Avoid Ďcheapí annual.
- Donít complain about invoice. Stay in touch and control.
- Bring donuts
At the aircraft:
- Calculate oil consumption for previous year. Record in Engine Log.
- Organize group ELT recertification - think about buying 406 ELT for 2009.
- Organize group Transponder - Encoder Integration Tests. Every 2 years.
- Assure that your insurance coverage is appropriate and in effect. Check values.
- Wash aircraft
- Close openings against bird nests when parked
- Check all air pressures Ė tires, oleo
- Check the static system for no leaks. Use home-made manometer.
- Buy oil, oil filters, cyl. head and exhaust gaskets, washers, nuts, so that you can work weekends. Keep a communal stock.
- If changing oil, take oil sample for analysis. Obtain test kits for your group.
- Have new tires and brake pads on hand.
- Check battery level and charge. Have distilled water available.
- Wash and polish windshield. Remove scratches. Read and follow instructions on bottle.
- Put light under cowl to prevent condensation while parked.
- Fix snags that couldnít be corrected due to cold
- Oil all hinges
- Repack wheel bearings
- Ensure that all baffle seals are in good condition
- Check RPM indicator against a standard
- Are you reporting anomalies, SDRs? So that everyone can benefit from safety information?
- Have you booked a check flight with an experienced pilot?