"Surnames of Scotland" by George F. Black provides the following
information in a section titled "Glassford, Glassford, Glasfurd." In the
information, numerous spellings were used, often referring to the same
person, but recorded by a different scribe and therefore creating their
own spelling based on the pronunciation that was heard. Many of these references
predate the story line included by William in 1834 with his genealogy chart
and suggest that multiple families were using the name Glassford or its
variations including both Gaelic/English spellings prior to 1300. However,
the geographic area referred to overlap that of William and may suggest
that the division from the Glass family and the battle referred to by William
may have occurred prior to Robert the Bruce taking the Scottish crown in
Late in the 13th century the lands of the Glasforde in Strathaven,
Lanarkshire were in procession
of a family who took their name from the lands.
(see the Parish of Glassford)
Alexander de Glasfrith was escheator south of the Forth in
the English service in 1289-90.
Roger de Glasford and Aleyn fiz Roger de Glasfrithe or Glasfrethe
of the county of Lanark rendered homage in 1296.
The seal of Aleyn bears the Angus Dei and S’Alani de Glasfrit
About 1300 Sir Alan de Glasfurd witnessed a donation by Herbert
Master Andrew de Glasfrith was appointed sequestrator of
the provostry of St.Mary’s in St. Andrews by William Lamberton, bishop
of St. Andrews in 1306 .
Alan de Glasfurth c. 1317 witnessed a grant of the church
of Largys to the monks of Paisley by Walter the High Steward , near the
same date Alan de Glachfrith held the lands of Mucherach in Lennox.
John de Glassrith had an annuity granted him in 1328.
John of Glassfurde of Welshehawa was a servant
to James Hamilton in 1425.
Willelmus de Glasfurd witnessed a notarial instrument in
John Glasfuird in Maxwood was retoured heir of John Duncane
in Barnaycht in 1636.
The lands of Glasforde were granted to Johnannes Sympille,
by John Earl of Carric which gift was confirmed by Robert II in 1373.
The early forms of the place name point to a Welsh or Gaelic
Margaret Stewart's book "Scottish Family History" includes reference to
an " Lord Abercomby Glassfoord" who was a member of the Scottish peerage.
If you have any questions or concerns or wish to provide
or obtain additional information please contact Gary Ernest Glassford