PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
Coat of Arms

Armorial Bearings

Officially granted by Royal Warrant in 1905 by King Edward VII.

Topping the Shield, on a red background, is a gold Heraldic Lion which also appeared on the Coat of Arms for Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (for whom the Province was named) and on that of King Edward VII. Beneath the lion, on a single plot of land on which stand a mature oak tree representing England and three saplings which represent the three counties into which the province has been divided since 1767. The single plot of land represents the fact that both England and Prince Edward Island are islands.

Coat of Arms (old)

Officially granted by Royal Warrant in 1905 by King Edward VII.

In 1767, Prince Edward Island - then known as St. John's Island - became a British colony and was granted a Great Seal. Beneath the shield was the motto. Although Prince Edward Island had no official Coat of Arms, the design of the Great Seal was widely-recognized as such and when the official Coat of Arms was granted in 1905, the design of the Great Seal was used. This design was used for almost a century when a new design entered into service.

 

 

Coat of Arms (new)

Officially granted by Vice-Regal Warrant on December 13, 2002, by Her Excellency Adrienne Clarkson, Governor-General of Canada, and by an act of the Legislature.

Above the shield sits the Royal Helm, representing Prince Edward Island's ties to England as well as its co-sovereignty in Confederation. The mantle and the wreath are coloured red and white, official colours of Canada.

The Crest above the Helm is a Blue Jay (official bird of PEI) standing upon a small mound of grass and holding an Oak leaf (official tree of PEI) in its beak. The Blue Jay wears a replica of the Royal Crown of St. Edward which has been in use at the coronation of most of the British Monarchs since 1661. The use of the Royal Crown in the Crest was an honour granted by Queen Elizabeth II.

Two Silver Foxes support the Shield. In the later years of the 19th century, the rare Silver Fox, native to Prince Edward Island, was prized for its fur. Because of its rarity, enterprising islanders developed and refined the art and science of breeding furbearing animals, giving birth to the ranched fur industry. The garlands of potato blossoms around the neck of the left fox and the fishing net around the neck of the right fox represent Prince Edward Island's centuries-old prosperity and reliance upon the land and the sea.

At the centre of the mound of grass upon which the supporters stand is a blue, eight-pointed star, a centuries-old symbol of the sun of the Mi'kmaq people, the earliest-known inhabitants of the Island. The star is drawn as if it were woven from porcupine quills - a traditional artform of the Mi'kmaqs. Mirrored on either side of the star are a rose representing England, a thistle representing Scotland, a shamrock representing Ireland, and a lily representing France. Mirrored above and framing the shield are Lady Slippers, the official floral emblem of Prince Edward Island.

The Motto, PARVA SUB INGENTI, is commonly translated as 'The Small under the Protection of the Great', originally alluding to the Island's relationship with England.