PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
Official Symbols & Emblems

Flower - Pink Lady's Slipper

Adopted on April 25, 1947, the Pink Lady's Slipper, Cypripedium acaule, which is an orchid, derives its name from the delicate shape of its petals which forms a pouch very much resembling a pink slipper. The flower grows in shaded and moist areas of Prince Edward Island and bloom from late May to later in June.


Bird - Blue Jay

Adopted in 1977 following a province-wide vote the previous year, the Blue Jay, Cyanocitta cristata, is easily recognized by its blue 'hood', back, wings and tail. Black accents and the white throat and chest offer stark, but pleasing, contrast to this beautiful bird. A common, year-round dweller, the Blue Jay prepares for Winter by gathering and storing grains, seeds and suet. Its distinctive cry echos through the woodlands where it makes its home and alerts the inhabitants of Prince Edward Island to its presence when visiting back-yard bird feeders.


Tree - Red Oak

Adopted in 1905, the Red Oak, Quercus rubra, was common throughout Prince Edward Island during the early days of settlement. However, its strong, heavy and fine-grained wood was highly desired for making household furniture and for making barrels. As a result, the tree is virtually limited to certain areas on the island today. The Royalty Oaks Natural Area in Charlottetown is the largest reserve of these majestic trees on Prince Edward Island today.

It is commonly accepted that the trees included in the Armorial Bearings and the Flag of Prince Edward Island is the Red Oak. However, the acorns visible in the depiction more resemble the White Oak rather than the Red.


Soil

The distinctive red 'Charlottetown' soil covers over 190,000 hectares (470,000 acres) of Prince Edward Island. It is a fine, sandy loam soil which is perfect for a wide variety of crops, including the potatoes for which Prince Edward Island is so commonly known.


Island Hymn

Written by Lucy Maud Montgomery (of 'Anne of Green Gables' fame) early in 1908, the song received its premier performance on May 22, 1908, with music composed by Lawrence W. Watson especially for the poem.

Fair Island of the sea,
We raise our song to thee,
The bright and blest;
Loyally now we stand
As brothers, hand in hand,
And sing God save the land
We love the best.

Upon our princely Isle
May kindest fortune smile
In coming years;
Peace and prosperity
In all her borders be,
From every evil free,
And weakling fears.

Prince Edward Isle, to thee
Our hearts shall faithful be
Where'er we dwell;
Forever may we stand
As brothers, hand in hand,
And sing God save the land
We love so well.