University of the West Indies
University of Western Ontario
University of Toronto
Ph.D. Sociology & Equity Studies in Education
King's University College of the University of Western Ontario
Adjunct Professor, Dept of Sociology
||(519) 453 3491, x.4349
• Sociology 020: Introduction to Sociology
• Sociology 260F: Sociology of Law
• Sociology 430F: Advanced Sociology of Education
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto
Lecturer, Dept of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning
||(416) 923 6641, x.2836 (VM: 6004)
||(416) 926 4744
• CTL 1000: The Foundations of Curriculum
• CTL 1011: Anti-Discriminatory Education in School Settings
• CTL 1018: Introduction to Qualitative Inquiry in Curriculum, Teaching and Learning
• CTL 7006: Reflective Teaching and Inquiry Into Research in Education
• CTL 7009: Anti-Discriminatory Education (Master of Teaching program)
Research focus on teacher education, in particular equity and social justice issues; curriculum development and planning; comparative education policies; global education; the sociology of education, and alternative models of schooling.
M.Ed. Thesis (1996): Decentralization: The search for an appropriate model of education development in Trinidad and Tobago.
Ph.D. Dissertation (2001): Alternative paradigms of educational development: Indigenous models of schooling for developing countries.
Dr. Heywood upon receiving the Michel Laferrière Research Award for Most Outstanding Thesis of 2001 by the Comparative and International Education Society of Canada (CIESC). On the right is Dr. Suzanne Majhanovich, then President of CIESC and Associate Dean of the Faculty of Education, UWO.