A short list of the more significant projects and activities of the Canadian Slovenian Congress to date is presented below. As
this website expands, more project specific information will come on-line. If you would like to contribute financially or participate
more directly in the work of the Congress, please Contact us!
- Organized a symposium and cultural evening with special guests from Slovenia, writer Spomenka Hribar and
journalist Alenka Puhar (Mar/91)
- Published a pamphlet "On the dawning of the CSC..." (Mar/91)
- Collected and delivered food and medical supplies to the hospital in Maribor, Slovenia (Oct/91).
- Petitioned the Canadian government to recognize Slovenia as a sovereign nation (Dec/91).
- Organized, during an annual meeting of the WSC, an art exhibit by Canadian Slovenian Bozidar Kramolc in
Ljubljana, Slovenia (1991).
- Collected and delivered two shipping containers of food and clothing to Croatia to aid war refugees in the city of Rijeka.
- Participated in organizing aid for flood victims in Slovenia as well as aid for reconstructing war damaged areas (1991).
- Petitioned the Slovenian Government to recognize in law the status and rights of Slovenians world wide who
do not have Slovenian Citizenship (1992).
- Petitioned the Slovenian Government to recognize the dual citizenship of Canadian Slovenians.
- Petitioned the Canadian government and the United Nations to allow persons of Slovenian descent to flee
war torn Bosnia and Hercegovina and emigrate to Canada (May/93).
- Protested to the Canadian Federal government and the Italian Embassy regarding the curtailing of Slovenian
minority language and education rights in eastern Italy. (1994 & 1997).
- Proposed to the Canadian and Slovenian government that a joint postage stamp be issued commemorating
the work of Bishop Frederick Baraga among the native Americans in the 1870's (1996).
- Sponsored appearances by several special guest speakers including:
- Dr. Peter Vencelj, Slovenian Minister
- Marjan Majcen, Slovenian Ambassador to Canada
- Dr. M. Tisler, Rector of the University of Ljubljana
- Franc Miklavcic, Judge from Slovenia
- Dr. R. Susel,Professor of History & Editor "Ameriska Domovina", Cleveland.
- Sponsor of the University of Ljubljana Alumni Organization (ADDUL) (1997)
- Is petitioning the Canadian Archives to open a section devoted to Slovenian contributions to Canada.
- Is supportive of the establishment of a Gerontology Studies Program in conjunction with McMaster University,
Mohawk College and University of Maribor, Slovenia (1997).
- Collects materials for the Canadian and Slovenian archives regarding the history of Slovenians in Canada.
- Published a quarterly newsletter "Congressional Thoughts" from April 1990 to May 1996 when it became a feature
section in the new newsmagazine "GLASILO".
- Encouraged all Slovenians in Canada to list their nationality as "Slovenian" in the 1996 Canadian Census and
requested the government recognize this distinct nationality.
- Co-operates with the All-Slovenian Committee, Voice of Canadian Slovenian Radio Program, and the
"GLASILO" Canadian Slovenian Newsmagazine.
- Co-operates and maintains ties with the Polish-Canadian, Italian-Canadian and Croatian-Canadian