.

This is our "Old Flat Top" a 1965 Cal 28. It's been registered in Florida, and Connecticut, and spent 8 years out of the water and unused before we bought her for a bargain price. Actually out of the water is not really accurate. It had about 3 feet of water on the inside for sometime.

It's in desperate need of restoration.

As for the name, besides the obvious I was thinking of the Beatles song, "Here comes old flat top, he come groov'n up slowly..."

 

This picture shows Old Flat Top in Cohoes NY in 1999, before we launched her.

 

 

 

 

 


 

SHE FLOATS!

With a some work we managed to get her in the water to motor home. Cohoes, NY (North of Albany) to Grimsby, Ontario. 300 miles via the Erie and Oswego Canals, and the south shore of Lake Ontario.

Launching was a fun task, 3 1/2 feet of water, 4 1/2 feet of draft. Thought of naming her "Stick in the Mud" or "Plow Horse"

In this pic we've stopped for a dip at buoy #53 on Oneida Lake .

We stepped the mast for the Lake Ontario portion of the trip. The mast hadn't been raised in over 8 years. We sailed 24 hours straight in 20+ knot winds and 4-5 foot waves. I was pleased that she performed very well and brought us home safely.

Then we pulled her out again to get to the heavy work...

 

 


Here's the galley area, running down the length of the starboard side of the main cabin. The stove was a rusted piece of junk so it was removed. The gimbals are still okay. The counter top and sink are molded fiberglass. The plaque on the bulk head is a 1st place award from 1968 when the boat was named BEDI BEDI. Strangely enough the same name as my mother in laws old cat. It was a omen!

The galley area with the front ply removed. This fiberglass sink and counter has been cut out. The whole galley is being rebuilt.


Here is the inboard mounting area under the cockpit. There was a crack in the hull that might have been caused by freezing when she was full of water. The motor mounts were removed. The whole area had been repaired with West System epoxy, cloth, and roving.

I've replaced the gate valves with ball valves. The gate valves were seized, and after trying to clean them up, I just tossed them. Not proper sea cocks I know, but should do fine in fresh water where I'll be sailing.

 

 

 

 

After patching up the hole and replacing the thru-hulls from the scuppers. Still need to clean and paint the area, and repair the crack in the cross piece of the floor pan. Wheel steering needs to be re- installed also.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

The fore peak's deck appeared in better shape. There is a lot of peeling paint and staining. Upon closer inspection the foredeck was saturated as well and had to go also!

The shelf with the holes in it is from the main cabin. It is heavily stained and may need to be replaced. As one might expect with the water in her for so long all the interior plywood was bad and will be replaced . (See following restoration pages.)

 

 


Here is a composite pic of the main cabin looking aft before I started ripping things out. It's actually been cleaned up. The ply deck core has been removed from the overhead and re-laminated with new ply and epoxy. The deck core was totally saturated and the ply had delaminated. When I removed all the deck hardware there was no trace of any caulking at all. No wonder the core was shot.

Recore of the main cabin deck area. 1/2" marine ply epoxied to the underside of the deck after striping the old de-laminating ply. after this section I took the bulkheads down and continued forward. Ripping off the old core and replacing it.

 

 

 

 

 

 


The restoration continues


Back to Cal 28 Home