Ontario Ministry of Education and Training has developed a series of new curriculum
documents for grades K-12 over the last few years. These documents identify the
expectations for learning in each of the curricula. All of the documents contain a strong
theme of reasoning and critical thinking, problem-solving, and research. Some of the
expectations for grade 6, from three of the curriculum documents, are highlighted in the
following chart to illustrate the strength of this theme in the documents. This
makes the need for students to learn the information-problem solving process and to
develop their information skills in Ontario, Canada, clear.
||Specific Expectations: Reasoning and Critical Thinking
- summarize and explain the main ideas in information materials (e.g. textbooks), and cite
details that support the main ideas
- make judgements and draw conclusions about ideas in written materials on the basis of
- plan a research project and carry out the research
||Canada and World Connections : Grade 6 - Canada and Its
||Specific Expectations: Developing Inquiry/Research and Communication
- formulate questions to facilitate the gathering and clarifying of information on study
topics (e.g. Canada's connections to its major trading partners)
- locate relevant information about Canada's exports and imports from a variety of primary
sources (e.g. interviews, field trips, classroom speakers) and secondary sources (e.g.
maps, illustrations, print materials, videos, CD-ROMs)
- analyse, classify, and interpret information about the various regions of the United
States and at least one other trading partner from another region of the world
- construct and read a wide variety of graphs, charts, diagrams, maps, and models for
specific purposes (e.g. to compare physical features of Canada and the United States)
- communicate information about the various regions of the United States and a country
from another region of the world, using media works, oral presentations, written
descriptions, illustrations, tables, charts, maps, and graphs
|Science and Technology
||Earth and Space Systems: Grade 6 - Space
||Specific Expectations: Developing Skills of Inquiry, Design, and
- formulate questions about and identify needs and problems related to objects and events
in the environment,and explore possible answers and solutions...
- plan investigations for some of these answers and solutions, identifying variables that
need to be held constant to ensure a fair test and identifying criteria for assessing
- compile data gathered through investigation in order to record and present results...
- communicate the procedures and results of investigations for specific purposes and to
specific audiences, using media works, written notes...