The Adaptive Technology Centre for the Blind [ATCB] is a dedicated computer trainer and Braille transcriber Center focusing on the needs of students and professionals in Ethiopia who are blind or visually impaired
Today everybody is a witness that the blind community in Ethiopia, especially those working in offices or any active job participants and students, are totally dependent on the help of others to perform their duties. Therefore, ATCB, aims to cut this shackle off our visually impaired professionals and students and make them free and independent so that they also can become the beneficiaries of modern technology.
We believe in:
- the fundamental rights of all people regardless of physical ability.
- the active involvement and full participation of persons with visual disabilities in any efforts on their behalf.
- the equality of all people.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Our goals are:
- to provide a continuum of services and programmes which foster personal growth.
- to be responsive to the needs of individuals and the community as a whole.
- to empower the visually challenged community through the acquisition and enhancement of skills in the use of adaptive technologies.
- To coordinate and facilitate Accessibility solutions with Software-Engineers for information resources in Ethiopic-Script for Blind users.
Our objectives include:
- To intensify the existing service and to expand into other parts of the countries with adaptive equipment
- To obtain computers and adaptive equipment through donations of new and used equipment for use by the center and individuals with a need for them.
- To provide fast and efficient Braille transcription services using Computerized brailing equipments.
- To train blind individuals to operate computers with adaptive equipment such as speech synthesizers, magnifying hardware-software and Braille displays.
- To reduce the dependence of blind individuals on the assistance of others in their daily school and professional activities.
- To maximize the independence, productivity and participation of people with visual impairment.
- To create awareness among the general public about the efficiency, productivity and potential capacity of blind individuals in Ethiopia.
- To advocate for the rights & privileges of the blind in Ethiopia in the usage of computers with adaptive technologies.
In cooperation with Government, Non-Government, International Organizations and any interested individuals,
Adaptive Technology Centre for the Blind will mobilize resources at the local, national and international levels to provide blind and visually impaired youths and adult students and professionals in Ethiopia with the tools necessary to obtain equal education and employment opportunities.