The following is a list of various court decisions affecting freedom
of expression in Canada. Where available, links are provided to
the full text of these decisions, including N.C.L. reviews
(+). Decisions are subdivided into the following categories: child
pornography, customs, obscenity, freedom of the press, libel and
other. ***Full citations to all decisions will be provided in
the near future.
For more comprehensive searches use CataLaw.
In addition, the Electronic Frontier Canada (E.F.C.),
the Electronic Frontier Foundation (E.F.F.)
and the A.C.L.U. provide a
number of online legal documents.
- Dell Publishing Co. v. Deputy Minister of National Revenue for Customs and Excise (1958), 2 T.B.R. 154.
- In re Writs of Assistance. May 6, 1965. 2 Ex. C.R. 645.
- Re Han and Deputy M.N.R. for Customs and Excise. June 15,
1972. 8 C.C.C. (2d) 399.
- Re North American News and Deputy M.N.R. (Customs & Excise).
July 17, 1973. 14 C.C.C. (2d) 63.
- Re Winkler and Dep. Min. of Nat. Rev. for Customs and Excise.
November 20, 1973. 15 C.C.C. (2d) 168.
- In re Attorney General of Canada and in re Customs Act. October
6, 1975.  1 F.C. 254.
- Re Priape Enrg. et al. and the Deputy M.N.R. December 19.
1979. 52 C.C.C. (2d) 44.
- University of Manitoba v. Deputy Minister of Revenue Canada,
Customs and Excise. October 24, 1983. 24 Man.R. (2d) 198.
- Tom Luscher v. Deputy Min., Rev. Can., Customs and Excise.
March 14, 1985. 1 F.C. 85.
- The Glad Day Bookshop Inc. v. The Deputy
Minister of the Department of National Revenue (Customs and Excise).
Unreported. March 20, 1987. aka "The Joy of Gay Sex decision."
- Goguen et al. v. Shannon and Murphy. January 4, 1989. 93 N.B.R.
(2d ) 164.
- Rollinson v. Canada. January 17, 1991. 40 F.T.R. 1.
- Glad Day Bookshop Inc. and Jearld
Moldenhauer v. Deputy Minister of National Revenue for Customs
and Excise. Unreported. July 14, 1992. aka The "Hayes decision."
Glad Day Bookshop Inc. v. Canada (Deputy Minister of National Revenue, Customs and Excise).  O.J. No. 1466 (QL)
- Little Sisters Book and Art Emporium and The British Columbia Civil Liberties Association and James Eaton Deva and Guy Allen, Bruce Smythe v. The Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, and Minister of National Revenue, and Attorney General of British Columbia.
January 19, 1996. 18 B.C.L.R. (3d) 241.
See also: March 29, 1996
Little Sisters Book and Art Emporium et al v. Minister of Justice. June 24, 1998. 54 B.C.L.R. (3d) 306.
Little Sisters Book and Art Emporium v. Canada (Minister of Justice). December 15, 2000.  2 S.C.R. 1120.
This page was last updated on December 16, 2000.