The Late Summer Meeting
Meeting started at 1:06 p.m. at Degroots Nursery, 1840 London Road, Sarnia.
1. Welcome to members and guests.
2. Approval of Minutes of 7 March 2009 as distributed.
Moved: Richard Cartwright. Seconded: Harry McGee. Carried.
3. Treasurer's Report.
Balance 14 February 2009: $1,864.59
Bank Interest .41
Total Receipts 160.41
Room Rental 47.46
Donation to Church 50.00
Total Expenditures 107.46
Balance 9 September 2009 $1,917.54
Motion: To approve the Treasurer's Report. Moved: Al Whitfield. Seconded: Sophia Borowski. Carried.
4. Speaker Jennifer Plaus of the Sarnia-Lambton Master Gardeners gave a very informative PowerPoint presentation on 'Organic Pest and Disease Control'. Examples of eco-friendly techniques were shown from her own garden. She grows around her flower beds a drought resistance form of fescue grass which does not go dormant during the summer months but remains green. The new provincial regulations on sprays were discussed.
5. Those present were given nickels to put beside roses which they thought were the best in each of the eight classes. The results were:
Class 1. Five or six petals: Harry McGee, 'Heavenly Rosalind'.
2. Seven to nineteen petals: Irina Code, 'Sterling Silver'.
3. 20 or more petals, solo : Al Whitfield, 'Belle Epoque'.
4. 20 or more petals with sidebuds: Roland Graig, 'Delany Sisters'.
5. 20 or more petals, cluster: Harry McGee, 'F. J. Grootendorst'.
6. 20 or more petals, Old Garden Rose form, cluster: Roland Craig, 'Fisherman's Friend'.
7. Climber or rambler: Richard Cartwright, 'Aloha'.
8. Miniature: Tie: Bill Lovelock, 'Sassy Cindy'; Roland Craig, 'The Fairy'; Bill Lovelock, unknown white variety.
Best in Show: Harry McGee, 'Heavenly Rosalind'.
6. A Special Meeting.will be held on Saturday, 3 October, 2009 at 2:00 p.m. in the Wakefield Room, Jalna Branch of the London Public Library, 1119 Jalna Boulevard, London. The speaker will be Thomas Proll of W. Kordes Söhne on 'New Trends in Rose Breeding'.
7. The Annual General Meeting will be held on Saturday, 7 November, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. at the Ingersoll Public Library.
8. National-Roses-Canada Report. Harry McGee will be stepping down as editor of the Journal at year's end.
9. Motion: To thank Harry McGee as creator and editor of the Rosebank Letter and the Journal of National-Roses-Canada. Moved: Roland Craig. Seconded: Richard Cartwright. Carried.
10. Termination at 3:02 p.m.