The Annual General Meeting
Carnegie Room, St.Thomas Public Library, St.Thomas.
Due to an illness in the family, President Elisabeth Bond was unable to attend. Former President Harry McGee called the meeting to order at 1: 05 p.m.
1. Harry McGee asked Vice President Al Whitfield to chair the meeting. Other members and guests in attendance were Richard Cartwright, Roland Craig, Bill Lovelock, Lynda Holmes, Marsha Sadler, Liz Taylor, Anne Walker, and Eileen Young.
2. Minutes of General Meeting of 7 September, 2013. Motion: To approve the Minutes as distributed. Moved: Richard Cartwright Seconded: Liz Taylor. Carried.
3. Treasurer's Report for 2 November, 2013. Treasurer Anne Walker reported that the Bank of Montreal Business Banking Statement for the period ending 31 October 2013, indicated our balance stood at $2,063.19. There were two outstanding cheques: No.236 to P.Paterson for $60.00 for a bus trip refund and No.243 to Elisabeth Bond for $58.91. Accordingly, the Wm. Saunders Rose Society total assets are now $1,944.28. There are no other assets to report. Motion: To approve the Treasurer's Report. Moved: Anne Walker. Seconded: Bill Lovelock. Carried.
4. President's Report. Postponed to a future meeting. Moved: Harry McGee. Seconded: Bill Lovelock. Carried.
5. Correspondence and New Business. There was no correspondence. Bill Lovelock is to arrange for the 2014 Rosefest in Sarnia on 6 September, 2014. Anne Walker will call P.Paterson a second time about the uncashed cheque. She will then wait until the end of the year.
6. National-Roses-Canada Report.
Harry McGee thanked the rose society for its $100.00 contribution. The resignation of the editor of National-Roses-Canada, Richard Cartwright, will be effective at the end of January 2014. He had succeeded Harry McGee in the position four years ago. A replacement is needed. The John Cabot Rose Society of Newfoundland has been meeting at the Memorial University Botanical Garden. There is a new policy requiring them to have insurance. The society wants advice on joining the Newfoundland Horticultural Society. They would have to have their rose show with the horticultural society. Harry gave them a reply detailing the Wm. Saunders Rose Society experiences about meeting in various venues. The N-R-C Constitution requires a rose society from Atlantic Canada. Harry has been trying to establish rose societies in other communities.
7. Honourary Advisor to the Board.
Motion: to appoint Al Whitfield as Honourary Advisor to the Board. Moved: Harry McGee. Seconded: Anne Walker. Carried. Harry thanked Al for all his work as former Treasurer and Vice President.
8. Nominating Committee Report and Election of Officers. Harry McGee asked three times for any nominations from the floor. There were none. Nominations were acclaimed. Motion: to approve the Nominating Committee Report as presented. Moved: Liz Taylor. Seconded: Bill Lovelock. Carried.
8. Election of Officers.
The Annual General Meeting adjourned and an Executive Meeting was immediately constituted and the following motion presented. Motion: to appoint following as the officers of the society: Elisabeth Bond, President; Roland Craig, Vice President; Richard Cartwright, Secretary; and Anne Walker, Treasurer. Moved: Harry McGee. Seconded: Roland Craig. Carried.
9. Election of Directors. Motion: to appoint following as the directors of the society: Elisabeth Bond, Richard Cartwright, Roland Craig, Lynda Holmes, Harry McGee, Liz Taylor, and Anne Walker. Moved: Harry McGee. Seconded: Roland Craig. Carried. The Executive Meeting then adjourned and the Annual General Meeting resumed.
10. Speaker Harry McGee.
Al Whitfield introduced the speaker. Mr.McGee gave a PowerPoint presentation of his trip to rose gardens in Germany and Switzerland. The audience saw various styles of rose gardening from historic formal gardens to modern mixed types. There were also visits to the Europa-Rosarium in Sangerhausen, Germany for an historic roses conference and the nurseries of rose breeders Kordes and Tantau.
11. Termination at 3:15 p.m.
Nominating Committee Report
Pursuant to the Minutes of the Board Meeting of 3 October 2014, the President, Elisabeth Bond asked directors Harry McGee and Liz Taylor to form a Nomination Committee to nominate a slate of directors for 2014 and a slate of officers for 2014. The Committee nominated for directors: Elisabeth Bond, Richard Cartwright, Roland Craig, Lynda Holmes, Harry McGee, Elizabeth Taylor, and Anne Walker. Each nominee was contacted and agreed to stand. The nominated directors will be submitted for election by the members at the General Meeting. The Committee also nominated Elisabeth Bond for President, Roland Craig for Vice President, Richard Cartwright for Secretary and archivist, and Anne Walker for Treasurer. Each nominee agreed to stand. The nominated officers will be submitted for election by the new Board of Directors.